Information about how to stay informed about Hawaiian volcanoes.
How to stay informed about Hawaiian volcanoes
Following the dramatic events of 2018, Kīlauea is now relatively quiet. But it remains an active volcano that will erupt again, so it is wise to stay informed about its status, along with other active Hawaiian volcanoes.
USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory website updates:
Kīlauea – https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html
Mauna Loa – https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/mauna_loa/status.html
Hualālai – https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/hualalai/status.html
Mauna Kea – https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/mauna_kea/status.html
Lōʻihi - https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/loihi/status.html
- Haleakalā – https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/haleakala/status.html
USGS Volcano Notification Service (VNS)
VNS is a free service that sends automatic notices (emails or texts) about volcanic activity at U.S. monitored volcanoes, including Hawaiian volcanoes. You can sign up to receive these notifications at http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vns/.
Through VNS, the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory issues:
- Daily/weekly updates for Kīlauea and Mauna Loa,
- Monthly updates for Hualālai, Mauna Kea, Lōʻihi, and Haleakalā,
- Status Reports about volcanic activity during ongoing events,
- Volcano Activity Notices if/when significant events or changes in volcanic activity or alert levels occur, and
- Information Statements to provide additional information or explanations of non-volcanic events on an "as needed" basis.
You can choose the types of notifications that you wish to receive—all of them or just some of them. You can also select the volcanoes you want to hear about—choose Hawai‘i only or include other U.S. volcanoes as well.
For more information about these types of notifications, please see: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/notifications.html.
~ ~ ~
If/when Hawaiian volcanoes become restless or erupt, you can also turn to the County of Hawaiʻi for information. The Civil Defense Emergency Notification System is a free service that allows you to receive timely notifications about emergency situations on the Island of Hawai‘i. Civil Defense encourages residents and visitors to sign up so that you can be notified in case of an emergency. Standard charges for incoming calls and text messages apply. Sign up at: https://countyofhawaii.bbcportal.com.