The Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint River basin covers approximately 19,800 square miles in parts of Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Most of the basin lies within Georgia as does most of the population. Most of the water withdrawn in the basin in 1990 was withdrawn in Georgia (82 percent). Withdrawals in Florida and Alabama each accounted for 9 percent of the total withdrawal in the basin. Water with- drawn in the basin for 1990 totaled 2,098 million gallons per day, of which approximately 17 percent (351 million gallons per day) was consumed. Of the total water used, nearly 86 percent was withdrawn from surface-water sources, and the remaining 14 percent was withdrawn from ground-water sources. Nearly 63 percent of the surface water used in the basin during 1990 was for thermoelectric power generation; other surface water uses included public supply (24 percent), self-supplied commercial- industrial use (12 percent), and agricultural use (4 percent). Nearly 58 percent of the ground water used in the basin for 1990 was used for agricultural irrigation; other ground-water uses included public supply (21 percent), self-supplied domestic use (11 percent), self-supplied commercial-industrial use (9 percent), and thermoelectric power generation (less than 1 percent). The Chattahoochee River supplied most of the surface water used in the basin (64 percent) and the Floridan aquifer system supplied most of the ground water used (44 percent) in 1990. During 1990, 39,815 Mgal/d of water was used to produce 35,843 gigawatthours of electricity. Of that total, 1.076 Mgal/d was used to produced 33,460 gigawwatthours of electricity at 8 fossil fuel facilities and 38,740 Mgal/d was used to produce 2,384 gigawatthours of electricity at 14 hydroelectric facilities.
|Title||Estimated use of water in the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint River basin during 1990, with state summaries from 1970 to 1990|
|Authors||R. L. Marella, J. L. Fanning, W. S. Mooty|
|Publication Subtype||USGS Numbered Series|
|Series Title||Water-Resources Investigations Report|
|Record Source||USGS Publications Warehouse|