The quantity and complex nature of materials received for analysis in the spectrographic laboratories of the U. S. Geological Survey have emphasized the need for a spectrographic method to determine a maximum number of elements in a limited time with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The semiquantitative method described determines 68 elements in one arcing of a 10-mg. sample. The method has been used to complete 245,000 determinations during a 3-year period. Each determination is reported as a concentration range or bracket (0.001 to 0.01, 0.01 to 0.1%, etc.). A chemical check of 500 such determinations showed 92% in agreement; the remaining 8% agreed to within one bracket. The method requires a minimum of sample handling, thus reducing the chances of contamination, detects low concentrations of elements, and is rapid. Analyses have been completed on a wide variety of materials.
|Title||Semiquantitative spectrographic method for analysis of minerals, rocks, and ores|
|Authors||C. L. Waring, C. S. Annell|
|Publication Subtype||Journal Article|
|Series Title||Analytical Chemistry|
|Record Source||USGS Publications Warehouse|