Due to a lapse in appropriations, the majority of USGS websites may not be up to date and may not reflect current conditions. Websites displaying real-time data, such as Earthquake and Water and information needed for public health and safety will be updated with limited support. Additionally, USGS will not be able to respond to inquiries until appropriations are enacted. For more information, please see www.doi.gov/shutdown
Dalia E Varanka, Ph.D.
Dr. Varanka leads the Geospatial Semantics and Ontology project of the Center of Excellence for Geospatial Information Science.
Dalia Varanka is a Research Geographer with the U.S. Geological Survey.
Dr. Varanka received her BA degree from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay in Urban and Regional Analysis (1978) and her M.A. degree in Urban Environmental Geography at the University of Illinois at Chicago (1987). Dr. Varanka’s Ph.D. degree in Geography from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (1994) focused on the spatial information theory and cartography and society.
Dr. Varanka worked full-time through graduate school, first as a research assistant at The Field Museum of Natural History and later The Newberry Library in Chicago. She started her Federal career at the U.S. Bureau of Land Management in 1993 and joined the USGS in 1997. Dr. Varanka has been a Research Grade Evaluation (RGE) scientist since 1998 with the National Geospatial Program.
Member, Cartography and Geographic Information Society (CaGIS)
Dr. Varanka teaches a Geospatial Ontology and Semantics course for the Geographic Information Systems degree for the Johns Hopkins University Advanced Academic Programs.
Publications dated 2012 and before. Recent publications are listed under the next section heading "Science and Products."
- Varanka, D.E. and Usery, E.L., 2012, Topographic Feature Type Vocabularies for Ontology Design Patterns. IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), July 2012.
- Varanka, D., 2011, The National Map Geospatial Semantic Linked Data. [Poster] USGS Information Product.
- Varanka, D.E., 2010, Ontology, in Warf, B., ed., Encyclopedia of Geography: Thousand Oaks, California, Sage Publications, Inc.
- Varanka, D.E. and Usery, E.L., 2010, Special Section: Ontological Issues for The National Map: Cartographica: The International Journal for Geographic Information and Visualization, v. 45, n. 2, p. 103-104.
- Varanka, D., 2008, Interpolating Population Pressure on Urbanizing Natural Areas, [Poster] at URL http://mcgsc.usgs.gov/publications/IMPPUNA%20poster_112707.pdf.
- Varanka, D.E., 2008, National Topographic Modeling, Ontology-Driven Geographic Information in the Context of The National Map, First International Workshop on Information Semantics and its Implications for Geographical Analysis (ISGA ’08) at GIScience 2008, the 5th International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Park City, Utah, September 23, 2008.
- Varanka, D.E., 2007, Ontological Foundations of Transportation Data for the National Map (USA), in XXIII International Cartographic Conference Proceedings 4-10, August 2007, Moscow, Russia, 13 p. (CD)
- Varanka, D.E., 2006, Centralization and Locality in the 20th Century National Topographic Mapping Program In The United States: in Postnikov, A., ed., Development of Ideas and Methods in Cartography: Moscow, Russian Academy of Sciences, pp. 26-41.
- Varanka, D., 2005, The manly map; the English construction of gender in early modern cartography, In, Gender and Landscape, Renegotiating morality and space, Dowler, L., Carubia, J., and Szczygiel, B., eds. Women and Place Series, Monk, J., and Momsen, J., Series Editors, London, Routledge, pp. 223-239.
- Varanka, D.E., 2005, Analytical Concepts in Early Computer Cartography and Late National Topographic Mapping in the United States, in Mapping Approaches into a Changing World, International Cartographic Conference: A Coruna, Spain, Proceedings (CD): International Cartographic Association, Theme 16.
- Varanka, D., 2003, Using The National Topographic Survey For Long-Term Land Surface Change Studies: A Case Involving Carbon Sequestration: Proceedings, 21st International Cartographic Conference, Durban, South Africa, August 10-16, 2003, pp. 80-83 (CD rom).
- Varanka, D., 2003, Atlas of World History: Patrick K. O’Brien, General Editor, Oxford University Press, 2002, Book review for Cartography and GIS, v. 30, n. 4. pp. 351-2.
- Varanka, D., 2003. Cartographic Fictions; Maps, Race, and Identity: Karen Piper, Rutgers University Press, 2002, Book review for Gender, Place, and Culture.