Evan Bargnesi is an Associate Science Center Director with the USGS Geology, Energy & Minerals (GEM) Science Center in Reston, VA.
Evan started his professional career with Occidental Petroleum (OXY) in 2011 and continued with California Resources Corporation after they spun-off from OXY. He has worked oil and gas related projects in multiple fields across the sedimentary basins of California. Evan has held Geologist positions with both Exploration and Development teams, with a primary focus on generating exploration and brownfield appraisal concepts. He has extensive subsurface experience including seismic interpretation, mapping, petrophysical analysis, core description, geomodeling, 2D cross section building, portfolio management, and operations geology.
Evan joined the USGS in February 2021, as the Associate Science Center Director for the Geology, Energy & Minerals (GEM) Science Center. In this position, he assists in the formulation and evolution of Center research direction and planning. He also oversees the execution of research projects and provides management and supervision for senior scientists and project chiefs, whose work is critical to the scientific understanding of domestic energy resources and environmental health.
- M.S. Geology, Department of Geology, University of Kansas, 2011
- B.S. Geology, Department of Geology, Union College, 2007
- 2021 to Current: Associate Center Director, USGS Geology, Energy & Minerals (GEM) Science Center, Reston, VA
- 2011 to 2021: Geologist, California Resources Corporation, Bakersfield & Ventura, CA
- Present Member, Geological Society of America (GSA)
- Present Member, American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG)