Shannon is a Data & Information Biologist located at USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center in Laurel, MD.
- M.S., Johns Hopkins University, Environmental Sciences and Policy (2012)
- B.S., University of Houston - Victoria, Biology with emphasis in Ecology (2005)
- Incorporates processes, policies, guidelines and responsibilities for Patuxent's data in compliance with policy and/or regulatory obligations.
- Create and edit Metadata, ScienceBase pages, DOI numbers for Patuxent Scientists datasets
- Knowledgable in the IPDS system and support Patuxent Authors
Patuxent Web Re-engineering (Drupal & Sharepoint):
- Development of the structure and information transferring from old Patuxent website to the new Drupal system
- Update and connect Employee Staff profiles to new Patuxent Drupal website
- Create new Patuxent intranet site in Sharepoint 2013
Graphics and Web Design
- Experienced in Adobe Creative Suite software to create information products for center, including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Create and update webpages and quarterly newsletters using Adobe Dreamweaver
- Development of databases, graphical analysis and data integration, coordination and facilitation of interdisciplinary research initiatives, and reporting of findings of research investigations.
- Experienced in using ESRI ArcGIS software to analyze both vector and raster data using a variety of techniques, including spatial and attribute queries, map overlay and buffering. Experienced with ESRI Spatial Analyst and Spatial Statistics.
- Support for research scientists by providing requested articles and books, provide a full article research for requested topics, maintain publication database for entire center.
Program Analysis and Reporting:
- Serves as an analytical resource for scientific attributes of the Patuxent Science Portfolio and answers questions about how to access critical program data and analytical information. Develops, maintains, and updates program databases, (e.g., Patuxent Authored Articles database, Staff Directory database, and other SQL databases).
- Gathers raw data from multiple scientific sources, such as literature databases and scientific databases in order to design queries; and analyzes and presents findings to management for analysis of scientific data.
- Prepares analytical, comparative and statistical reports of program activities and scientific accomplishments in biological and related sciences.
- Lead outreach liaison for center
- Editor of quarterly newsletter
- Provide data call inquiries from Northeast Regional Office, including the Monthly Highlights, Media Contacts and Quarterly Key products
- Create and update yearly the Patuxent Science Portfolio
- Provide Facebook content
- Core Science Analytics, Synthesis, and Libraries – ScienceBase Team (30 day detail - 2017)
- Serves as liaison for the nonprofit Friends of Patuxent (2014-present)
- Serves as liaison to the FWS Patuxent Research Refuge Staff (2014-present)
- Landscape Planning Development Team - designing an all native landscape for campus beautification (2016-present)
- Strategic Planning Meeting Teams - (2014-2015)
- Partners Team - Collecting list of partners to invite or send a survey to
- Briefing Book Team - Design and collect data for the briefing book
- Logistics Team - coordinate all logistics for meeting
- Patuxent Wildlife Festival Coordination Team (2010-2016)