Environmental Management Policy Statement
Effective environmental management is critical to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) mission. We are committed to protecting the environment through complete compliance with environmental laws, regulations, and outstanding efficiency in the conduct of our operations. As part of our ongoing efforts, we will:
- Comply with and strive to surpass Federal, State, and local environmental laws and regulations.
- Implement and maintain the Environmental Management System as the primary management practice for USGS operations and activities.
- Seek to minimize the environmental impact of our operations through regular evaluation, restoration, and efficient use of natural resources.
- Implement sustainable environmental practices, including the acquisition of bio-based, environmentally friendly, energy-efficient, water-efficient, and recycled-content products.
- Conduct audits to measure environmental performance and establish accountability to correct deficiencies.
- Continuously improve environmental performance through appropriate policies, procedures, training, and recognition of excellence.
- Prepare for emergencies in order to minimize environmental impacts.
- Emphasize pollution prevention, environmentally preferred products, and sustainable business practices with our building managers, contractors, and suppliers.
- Incorporate and enforce appropriate performance clause(s) in contracts with concessionaires and contractors that specify environmental protection and compliance.
- Serve as a role model and provide leadership for other organizations.
These tasks reflect the USGS’s commitment to excellence in environmental management. All managers and employees should strive to carry them out.