Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

What kind of school training do you need to become a volcanologist?

Right-click and save to download

Detailed Description

Listen to hear the answer.




Public Domain.


[music fades in]

Welcome to CoreFacts, where we're always short on time and big on science. I'm Danielle Eganhouse. Today's question involves finding a career in science.

What kind of school training do you need to become a volcanologist?

There are many paths to becoming a volcanologist. Most share a college or graduate school education in a scientific or technical field, but the range of specialties is very large. Training in geology, geophysics, geochemistry, biology, mathematics, engineering, atmospheric science, and related fields can be applied to the study of volcanoes and the interactions between volcanoes and the environment. The key ingredients are a strong fascination and boundless curiosity about volcanoes and how they work. From there, the possibilities are almost endless.

And now you know. Join us again every weekday for a new CoreFact. For other CoreFacts, or for CoreCast, our in-depth science podcast, go to If you'd like to have a question featured on our show, give us an email at or a phone call at 703-648-5600. Remember, long distance fees do apply.

CoreFacts is a product of the U.S. Geological Survey, Department of the Interior.

[music fade out]


Show Transcript