PubTalk 11/2003 — Clean Power from the Earth's Heat
The Present and Future of Geothermal Energy
by John Sass, Geophysicist
- Since ancient times, people have sought out geothermal hot springs for bathing, cooking, and supposed healing effects
- In Iceland, nearly half the electrical power and all space heating are derived from geothermal sources
- For Iceland and other volcanic regions of current volcanism, large-scale generation of geothermal energy is a viable, environmentally friendly alternative to fossil fuels
- Did you know that Northern California has the world.s largest electricity-generating geothermal development?
- Geothermal heat pumps can provide cost-effective space heating and cooling, almost anywhere