PubTalk 2/2004 — Life and Death of Hawaiian Coral Reefs
New Studies Track the Life Cycle of Maui's Changing Reefs
By Michael E. Field, Marine Geologist & Curt D. Storlazzi, Coastal Oceanographer
- How are coral reefs changing, and why is it a concern?
- Agents of change on Maui's reefs have both natural and human causes
- Coral eggs and sperm released during remarkable spawning events are tracked using current drifters and satellites
- New information is unraveling the ecological connection between separated reefs on different islands
- Coral reefs may face serious future challenges related to changes in climate and sea level