Nedal T Nassar
Employing a systems perspective, my team and I examine the global stocks and flows of non-fuel mineral commodities at each stage of their life cycle in order to gain a more complete understanding of their status above ground. We analyze trends and examine concerns regarding foreign mineral dpendency. We develop supply and demand scenarios to better anticipate potential shortfalls. We collaborate with other USGS Mission Areas to provide a more complete understanding of the mineral supply situtation. We also collaborate with and provide data analysis for other federal angencies to help them achieve their missions. In short, our work provides decision makers with the information necessary to ensure that the U.S. has an adequate supply of mineral resources.
Ph.D. Industrial Ecology, Yale University, 2015
M.Phil. Industrial Ecology, Yale University, 2014
M.ESc. Industrial Ecology, Yale University, 2011
M.B.A. Business Administration, Cornell University, 2008
B.ChE. Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2002
25. McCullough, E., and Nassar, N.T., 2017, Assessment of critical minerals: updated application of an early-warning screening methodology: Mineral Economics. doi: 10.1007/s13563-017-0119-6
24. Nassar, N.T., 2017, Shifts and trends in the global anthropogenic stocks and flows of tantalum: Resources, Conservation and Recycling, v. 125, p. 233–250.
23. Singerling, S.A., and Nassar, N.T., 2017, Minor metals and renewable energy—Diversifying America’s energy sources: U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2017–3061, 2 p.
22. Jenni, K.E., Goldhaber, M.B., Betancourt, J.L., Baron, J.S., Bristol, R.S., Cantrill, Mary, Exter, P.E., Focazio, M.J., Haines, J.W., Hay, L.E., Hsu, Leslie, Labson, V.F., Lafferty, K.D., Ludwig, K.A., Milly, P.C., Morelli, T.L., Morman, S.A., Nassar, N.T., Newman, T.R., Ostroff, A.C., Read, J.S., Reed, S.C., Shapiro, C.D., Smith, R.A., Sanford, W.E., Sohl, T.L., Stets, E.G., Terando, A.J., Tillitt, D.E., Tischler, M.A., Toccalino, P.L., Wald, D.J., Waldrop, M.P., Wein, Anne, Weltzin, J.F., and Zimmerman, C.E., 2017, Grand challenges for integrated USGS science—A workshop report: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2017–1076, 94 p.
21. Dewulf, J., Blengini, G.A., Pennington, D., Nuss, P., and Nassar, N.T., 2016, Criticality on the international scene: Quo vadis? Resources Policy, v. 50, p. 169–176.
20. Nassar, N.T., Wilburn, D.R., and Goonan, T.G., 2016, Byproduct metal requirements for U.S. wind and solar photovoltaic electricity generation up to the year 2040 under various Clean Power Plan scenarios: Applied Energy, v. 183, p. 1209–1226.
19. Ciacci, L., Harper, E.M., Nassar, N.T., Reck, B.K., and Graedel, T.E., 2016, Metal Dissipation and Inefficient Recycling Intensify Climate Forcing: Environmental Science & Technology, v. 50, no. 20, p. 11394–11402.
18. Meinert, L., Robinson, G., and Nassar, N.T., 2016, Mineral Resources–Reserves, peak production and the future: Resources, v. 5, no. 1, p. 14.
17. Nassar, N.T., Xun, S., Schoeberlein, D., Fortier, S., Fields, F., Bauer, D., Meinert, L., and Carim, A., 2016, Assessment of critical minerals: Screening methodology and initial application: U.S. National Science and Technology Council, Washington, D.C.
16. Nassar, N.T., 2015, Global stocks and flows, losses, and recoveries of platinum-group elements, PhD dissertation, Yale University, New Haven.
15. Nassar, N.T., Graedel, T.E., and Harper, E.M., 2015, By-product metals are technologically essential but have problematic supply: Science Advances, v. 1, no. 3, p. e1400180.
14. Graedel, T.E., Harper, E.M., Nassar, N.T., Nuss, P., and Reck, B.K., 2015, Criticality of metals and metalloids: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, v. 112, no. 14, p. 4257–4262.
13. Ciacci, L., Reck, B.K., Nassar, N.T., and Graedel, T.E., 2015, Lost by design: Environmental Science and Technology, v. 49, p. 9443–9451.
12. Nassar, N.T., 2015, Limitations to elemental substitution as exemplified by the platinum-group metals: Green Chemistry, v. 17, p. 2226–2235.
11. Nassar, N.T., Du, X., and Graedel, T.E., 2015, Criticality of the rare earth elements: Journal of Industrial Ecology, v. 19, no. 6, p. 1044–1054
10. Nuss, P., Harper, E.M., Nassar, N.T., Reck, B.K., and Graedel, T.E., 2014, Criticality of iron and its principal alloying elements: Environmental Science & Technology, v. 48, no. 7, p. 4171–4177.
9. Hunt, A.J., Anderson, C.W.N., Bruce, N., García, A.M., Graedel, T.E., Hodson, M., Meech, J. a., Nassar, N.T., Parker, H.L., Rylott, E.L., Sotiriou, K., Zhang, Q., and Clark, J.H., 2014, Phytoextraction as a tool for green chemistry: Green Processing and Synthesis, v. 3, no. 1, p. 3–22.
8. Oliver, C.D., Nassar, N.T., Lippke, B.R., and McCarter, J.B., 2014, Carbon, fossil fuel, and biodiversity mitigation with wood and forests: Journal of Sustainable Forestry, v. 33, no. 3, p. 248–275.
7. Graedel, T.E., Harper, E.M., Nassar, N.T., and Reck, B.K., 2015, On the materials basis of modern society: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, v. 112, p. 6295–6300.
6. Graedel, T.E., and Nassar, N.T., 2013, The criticality of metals–A perspective for geologists, in Jenkin, G.R.T., Lusty, P.A.J., McDonald, I., Smith, M.P., Boyce, A.J., and Wilkinson, J.J. eds., Ore Deposits in an Evolving Earth (Special Publication 393): Geological Society, London, UK, p. 291–302.
5. Nassar, N.T., 2013, Anthropospheric losses of platinum group elements, in Hunt, A.J. ed., Element Recovery and Sustainability: Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK, p. 185–206.
4. Desia, A., Nassar, N.T., and Chertow, M., 2012, American seams–An exploration of hybrid fast fashion and domestic manufacturing models in relocalised apparel production: Journal of Corporate Citizenship, no. 45, p. 53–78.
3. Nassar, N.T., Barr, R., Browning, M., Diao, Z., Friedlander, E., Harper, E.M., Henly, C., Kavlak, G., Kwatra, S., Jun, C., Warren, S., Yang, M.Y., and Graedel, T.E., 2012, Criticality of the geological copper family: Environmental Science and Technology, v. 46, no. 2, p. 1071–1078.
2. Graedel, T.E., Barr, R., Chandler, C., Chase, T., Choi, J., Christoffersen, L., Friedlander, E., Henly, C., Jun, C., Nassar, N.T., Schechner, D., Warren, S., Yang, M.Y., and Zhu, C., 2012, Methodology of metal criticality determination: Environmental Science and Technology, v. 46, no. 2, p. 1063–1070.
1. Graedel, T., Barr, R., Cordier, D., Enriquez, M., Hagelüken, C., Hammond, N., Kesler, S., Mudd, G., Nassar, N., Peacey, J., Reck, B., Robb, L., Skinner, B., Turnbull, I., and others, 2011, Estimating long-run geological stocks of metals: UNEP Internationl Panel on Sustainable Resource Management, Paris.