View map indexes on these interactive maps (you must zoom in to see the index lines and map names):
- Map Locator on the USGS Store - Click the icon on the left that looks like two pieces of paper and select “1:24,000” for our standard map series.
- TopoView - Click on any of the round map scale indicators on the right side of the map.
- The National Map Viewer - Click on the Layer List icon at the top that looks like three sheets of paper and select "Map Indices".
Order a paper topographic map index for any state (or download a free PDF):
Digital indexes for use in GIS:
- Download indexes in Shapefile and Geodatabase formats through The National Map Download Client. These are in a zip file and contain cell grids of 1x2 degree, 1x1 degree, 30x60 minute, 15x15 minute, 7.5x7.5 minute (Quads), and 3.75x3.75 minute (Quarter Quad). These are indexes of standard cells, not published maps.
- For maps in the US Topo and Historical Topographic Map collections, scroll to the bottom of our Topographic Maps page for a link to a database dump in CSV format. This file can be joined to the cell index above to create spatial indexes of published topographic maps. This file is updated nightly; about 75 US Topo maps are added each work day.
- For Web programmers, a more powerful way to get product information is through the ScienceBase API.