Mercury can cause health problems
What are the human health effects of mercury toxicity?
One way humans are exposed to mercury is as methylmercury from fish consumption. Methylmercury, on the other hand, affects the central nervous system, and in severe cases irreversibly damages areas of the brain.
Health effects of mercury can include:
- Deterioration of the nervous system
- Impairment of hearing, speech, vision and gait
- Involuntary muscle movements
- Corrosion of the skin and mucous membranes
- Chewing and swallowing difficultulties