Dirk Kempthorne Visits Malibu, California 2008
* Secretary of the Interior, Dirk Kempthorne, visits the fire ravaged Malibu, California (Jan 14, 2008). Led by USGS scientists, the Secretary was shown how technology and collaborative science are crucial to addressing a number of post-fire threats and concerns.
* 3-D imaging to help quantify the post-fire debris flow threat.
* NOAA's "Smart-R" mobile Doppler Radar truck
* Winter Canyon Drainage - Deployment site of post-fire debris flow monitoring instruments.
* Malibu Creek - Site of USGS gaging station.