PubTalk 12/2003 — What's Happening to Alaska's Glaciers?
Their Dynamic Response to Changing Climate and Other Factors
by Bruce F. Molnia, Research Geologist
- Although the oceans contain more than 95% of the Earth.s water, glaciers hold 75% of the fresh water
- If all the world's glaciers melted, sea level would rise more than 250 feet
- Of Alaska.s 2,000 or so large glaciers, more than 99% are now retreating or stagnating
- Photos taken decades apart at Glacier Bay reveal the dynamic evolution of the glacial landscape
- Why are Alaska's glaciers now contributing more water to raising sea level than Antarctica and other polar areas?