The USGS Land Change Monitoring, Assessment, and Projection (LCMAP) team will lead a workshop at the joint meeting of the 21st William T. Pecora Memorial Remote Sensing Symposium (Pecora 21) and the 38th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment (ISRSE-38).
The workshop, titled “Demonstration and Application of the LCMAP Product Suite,” will take place from 9-11:30 a.m. on Oct. 6, 2019, the first day of the weeklong conference in Baltimore, MD.
LCMAP couples novel methodologies with every cloud-free Landsat observation since the 1980s to produce annual land cover and land change products and make them readily available to the research community.
The workshop announcement comes as the LCMAP team at the USGS Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center works to finalize the full release of its product suite for the conterminous U.S., built using Landsat Analysis Ready Data (ARD) and a modified version of the Continuous Change Detection and Classification (CCDC) algorithm developed by Zhu and Woodcock (2014).
LCMAP products represent ten land cover and land change geospatial datasets, among them primary and secondary land cover classes with associated model confidence, annual land cover change, time of spectral change, change magnitude, and spectral stability period.
Alongside annual and interannual change data from 1985-2017 and yearly product suite updates thereafter, the LCMAP team leads a host of monitoring, research and development, and land cover projections projects designed to advance the understanding of land change science.
The initiative’s goals align closely with the theme of October’s joint conference, “Earth Observation – Continuous Monitoring of Our Changing Planet: From Sensors to Decisions.”
An overview of LCMAP and progress in the continuous monitoring of U.S. land cover will be offered during the symposium, as well. Other LCMAP topics to be discussed in Baltimore include:
- Detailed LCMAP product descriptions,
- Quality control and assessment of LCMAP reference data,
- Use of reference data for accuracy assessment and area estimation,
- Initial LCMAP prototype land cover classification composition and change metrics from 1985-2016,
- Characterization of landscape thermal features using Landsat ARD and LCMAP products
- Comparations between LCMAP and National Land Cover Database (NLCD) maps
- LCMAP land cover projections,
- LCMAP Applications in hydrological sciences,
- Future directions and updated capabilities for LCMAP.
More background on LCMAP
- Presentations from a workshop held at the USGS Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center in the fall of 2018 are available online here.
- LCMAP product descriptions are online here.
- Visit the Landsat Missions page for more information on Landsat ARD.
- To learn more about the ISRSE-38/Pecora 21 event in Baltimore, visit the Pecora website.
Get Our News
These items are in the RSS feed format (Really Simple Syndication) based on categories such as topics, locations, and more. You can install and RSS reader browser extension, software, or use a third-party service to receive immediate news updates depending on the feed that you have added. If you click the feed links below, they may look strange because they are simply XML code. An RSS reader can easily read this code and push out a notification to you when something new is posted to our site.