Recent Publications - December 2018-January 2019
This article is part of the December 2018-January 2019 issue of the Sound Waves newsletter.
- Bell, T., Lander, M., Jenson, J., Randall, R., Partin, J.W., and Prouty, N.G., 2018, A 50-year Sr/Ca time series from an enclosed, shallow-water Guam coral: In situ monitoring and extraction of a temperature trend, annual cycle, and ENSO and PDO signals: Journal of Coastal Research, https://doi.org/10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-16-00099.1.
- Bellmore, J.R. et al., 2019, Conceptualizing ecological responses to dam removal: If you remove it, what’s to come? BioScience, v. 69, p. 26–39, https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/biy152.
- Brankovits, D., Pohlman, J., Ganju, N.K., Iliffe, T.M., Lowell, N., Roth, E., Sylva, S.P., Emmert, J.A., and Lapham, L.L., 2018, Hydrologic controls of methane dynamics in karst subterranean estuaries: Global Biogeochemical Cycles, v. 32, p. 1759–1775, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018GB006026.
- Bruno, J.F., Cote, I.M., and Toth, L.T., 2019, Climate change, coral loss, and the curious case of the parrotfish paradigm—Why don’t marine protected areas improve reef resilience?: Annual Review of Marine Science, v. 11, p. 307–334, https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-marine-010318-095300.
- Buster, N.A., Bernier, J.C., Brenner, O.T., Kelso, K.W., Tuten, T.M., and Miselis, J.L., 2018, Sediment data from vibracores collected in 2016 from Fire Island, New York: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 1100, https://doi.org/10.3133/ds1100.
- Douglas, S.H., Bernier, J.C., and Smith, K.E.L., 2018, Analysis of multi-decadal wetland changes, and cumulative impact of multiple storms 1984 to 2017: Wetlands Ecology and Management, v. 26, p. 1121–1142, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11273-018-9635-6.
- East, A.E., Logan, J.B., Mastin, M.C., Ritchie, A.C., Bountry, J.A., Magirl, C.S., and Sankey, J.B., 2018, Geomorphic evolution of a gravel-bed river under sediment-starved vs. sediment-rich conditions: River response to the world’s largest dam removal: Journal of Geophysical Research F: Earth Surface, v. 123, p. 3338–3369, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JF004703.
- Flannery, J.A., Richey, J.N., Toth, L.T., Kuffner, I.B., and Poore, R.Z., 2018, Quantifying uncertainty in Sr/Ca-based estimates of SST from the coral Orbicella faveolata: Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, v. 33, p. 958–973, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018PA003389.
- Ganju, N.K., 2019, Marshes are the new beaches—Integrating sediment transport into restoration planning: Estuaries and Coasts, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12237-019-00531-3.
- Gonneea, M., Maio, C.V., Kroeger, K.D., Hawkes, A.D., Mora, J., Sullivan, R., Madsen, S., Buzard, R.M., Cahill, N., and Donnelly, J.P., 2019, Salt marsh ecosystem restructuring enhances elevation resilience and carbon storage during accelerating relative sea-level rise: Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, v. 217, p. 56–68, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2018.11.003.
- Gravinese, P.M., Toth, L.T., Randall, C.J., and Aronson, R.B., 2018, How do upwelling and El Niño impact coral reef growth? A guided, inquiry-based lesson: Oceanography, v. 31, p. 184–188, https://doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2018.424.
- Green, R.H., Lowe, R.J., Buckley, M.L., Foster, T., and Gilmour, J., 2019, Physical mechanisms influencing localized patterns of temperature variability and coral bleaching within a system of reef atolls: Coral Reefs, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00338-019-01771-2.
- Herdman, L., Erikson, L., and Barnard, P.L., 2018, Storm surge propagation and flooding in small tidal rivers during events of mixed coastal and fluvial influence: Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, v. 6, p. 1–26,
- Himmelstoss, E.A., Henderson, R.E., Kratzmann, M.G., and Farris, A.S., 2018, Digital Shoreline Analysis System (DSAS) version 5.0 user guide: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2018–1179, https://doi.org/10.3133/ofr20181179.
- Lazarus, E.D., Limber, P.W., Goldstein, E.B., Dodd, R., and Armstrong, S.B., 2018, Building back bigger in hurricane strike zones: Nature Sustainability, v. 1, p. 759–762, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-018-0185-y.
- Maier, K.L., Roland, E.C., Walton, M.A.L., Conrad, J.E., Brothers, D.S., Dartnell, P., and Kluesner, J.W., 2018, The tectonically controlled San Gabriel Channel-Lobe Transition Zone, Catalina Basin, Southern California Borderland: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 88, p. 942–959, https://doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2018.50.
- Maloney, A.E., Nelson, D.B., Richey, J.N., Prebble, M., Sear, D.A., Hassall, J.D., Langdon, P.G., Croudace, I.W., Zawadzki, A., and Sachs, J.P., 2019, Reconstructing precipitation in the tropical South Pacific from dinosterol 2H/1H ratios in lake sediment: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 245, p. 190–206, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2018.10.028.
- Mark, H.F., Lizarralde, D., Collins, J.A., Miller, N.C., Hirth, G., Gaherty, J.B., and Evans, R.L., 2019, Azimuthal seismic anisotropy of 70-Ma Pacific-plate upper mantle: Journal of Geophysical Research B: Solid Earth, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JB016451.
- Parsons, T.E., Geist, E.L., Console, R., and Carluccio, R., 2018, Characteristic earthquake magnitude frequency distributions on faults calculated from consensus data in California: Journal of Geophysical Research B: Solid Earth, v. 123, p. 10,761–10,784, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JB016539.
- Pirtle, J.L., Shotwell, S.K., Zimmermann, M., Reid, J.A., and Golden, N., 2017, Habitat suitability models for groundfish in the Gulf of Alaska: Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr2.2017.12.005.
- Richey, J.N., Thirumalai, K., Khider, D., Reynolds, C.E., Partin, J.W., and Quinn, T.M., 2019, Considerations for Globigerinoides ruber (white and pink) paleoceanography—Comprehensive insights from a long-running sediment trap: Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018PA003417.
- Smith, C.G., Long, J.W., Henderson, R.E., and Nelson, P.R., 2018, Assessing the impact of open-ocean and back-barrier shoreline change on Dauphin Island, Alabama, at multiple time scales over the last 75 years: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2018–1170, https://doi.org/10.3133/ofr20181170.
- Sun, Z., Jang, J., and Santamarina, J.C., 2018, Time-dependent pore filling: Water Resources Research, v. 54, p. 10242–10253, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018WR023066.
- Toth, L.T., and Aronson, R.B., 2019, The 4.2 ka event, ENSO, and coral reef development: Climate of the Past, v. 15, p. 105–119, https://doi.org/10.5194/cp-15-105-2019.
- Walton, M.A.L., Roland, E.C., Walter, J.I., Gulick, S.P.S., and Dotray, P.J., 2018, Seismic velocity structure across the 2013 Craig, Alaska rupture from aftershock tomography: Implications for seismogenic conditions: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 507, p. 94–104, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2018.11.021.
Get Our News
These items are in the RSS feed format (Really Simple Syndication) based on categories such as topics, locations, and more. You can install and RSS reader browser extension, software, or use a third-party service to receive immediate news updates depending on the feed that you have added. If you click the feed links below, they may look strange because they are simply XML code. An RSS reader can easily read this code and push out a notification to you when something new is posted to our site.