Due to a lapse in appropriations, the majority of USGS websites may not be up to date and may not reflect current conditions. Websites displaying real-time data, such as Earthquake and Water and information needed for public health and safety will be updated with limited support. Additionally, USGS will not be able to respond to inquiries until appropriations are enacted. For more information, please see www.doi.gov/shutdown
Alicia J Hotovec-Ellis, Ph.D.
I am a Mendenhall Postdoctoral Fellow with the Volcano Science Center in Menlo Park, CA. My research focuses on the use of seismic waveforms to study, monitor, and anticipate volcanic eruptions. I am especially interested in repeating earthquakes and volcanic tremor, how their character changes with time, and what processes (volcanic or otherwise) give rise to those changes. Ultimately, my goal is to develop realtime (or near-realtime) tools to assist volcano monitoring with new techniques. I have also done work as a non-volcano seismologist in Earthquake Early Warning for my first postdoc, and started off my USGS career as a student employee at the National Earthquake Information Center.
Ph.D. - 2014, University of Washington, Department of Earth and Space Sciences, Seattle, WA
M.S. - 2009, Colorado School of Mines, Department of Geophysics, Golden, CO
B.S. - 2007, Colorado School of Mines, Department of Geophysics, Golden, CO
- Hotovec-Ellis, A.J., Shelly, D.R., Hill, D.P., Pitt, A.M., Dawson, P.B., and Chouet, B.A., 2018. Deep fluid pathways beneath Mammoth Mountain, California, illuminated by migrating earthquake swarms, Science Advances, 4, 5 p., doi:10.1126/sciadv.aat5258.
- Hotovec-Ellis, A.J., Bodin, P., Thelen, W., Okubo, P., and Vidale, J.E., 2017. Improving the Hawaiian Seismic Network for Earthquake Early Warning, Seim. Res. Lett., 88, pp. 326-334, doi:10.1785/0220160187.
- Thelen, W.A., Hotovec-Ellis, A.J., and Bodin, P., 2016. Feasibility study of earthquake early warning (EEW) in Hawaiʻi. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2016-1172, 33 p., doi:10.3133/ofr20161172.
- Hotovec-Ellis, A. J., Vidale, J. E., Gomberg, J., Thelen, W., and Moran, S. C., 2015. Changes in seismic velocity during the first 14 months of the 2004–2008 eruption of Mount St. Helens, Washington, J. Geophys. Res., 120, doi:10.1002/2015JB012101.
- Haney, M., Hotovec-Ellis, A.J., Bennington, N.L., De Angelis, S., and Thurber, C., 2015. Tracking changes in volcanic systems with seismic interferometry, in Encyclopedia of Earthquake Engineering, edited by M. Beer et al., pp. 1–23, Springer, doi:10.1007/978-3-642-36197-5_50-1.
- Hotovec-Ellis, A.J., Gomberg, J.S., Vidale, J.E., and Creager, K.C., 2014. A continuous record of inter-eruption velocity change at Mount St. Helens from coda-wave interferometry, J. Geophys. Res., 119, 2199–2214, doi:10.1002/2013JB010742.
- Vidale, J.E., Malone, S.D., Hotovec-Ellis, A.J., Moran, S.C., Creager, K.C., Houston, H., and Schmidt, D.A., 2013. Deep long-period earthquakes west of the volcanic arc in Oregon: Direct evidence of fluid migration through the forearc mantle wedge, Geophys. Res. Lett., doi:10.1002/2013GL059118.
- Dmetrieva, K., Hotovec-Ellis, A.J., Prejean, S.G., and Dunham, E.M., 2013. Frictional faulting model for silenced harmonic tremor prior to Redoubt Volcano eruptions. Nature Geoscience 6(8), 652-656, doi:10.1038/ngeo1879.
- Hotovec, A.J., Prejean, S.G., Vidale, J.E., and Gomberg, J.S., 2013. Strongly Gliding Harmonic Tremor During the 2009 Eruption of Redoubt Volcano. J. Volcan. Geotherm. Res. (Redoubt Special Issue) 259, 89-99, doi:10.1016/jvolgeores.2012.01.001.
- Vidale, J.E., Hotovec, A.J., Ghosh, A., Creager, K.C., and Gomberg, J.S., 2011. Tiny intraplate earthquakes triggered by nearby episodic tremor and slip in Cascadia. Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst. 12(6), Q06005, doi:10.1029/2011GC003559.
- Allen, T.I., Wald, D.J., Earle, P.S., Marano, K.D., Hotovec, A.J., Lin, K., and Hearne, M., 2009. An Atlas of ShakeMaps and population exposure catalog for earthquake loss modeling. Bull. Earthq. Eng. 7(3), 701-718, doi: 10.1007/s10518-009-9120-y.
- Earle, P.S, Wald, D.J., Jaiswal, K.S., Allen, T.I., Marano, K.D., Hotovec, A.J., Hearne, M.G., and Fee. J.M., 2009. Prompt Assessment of Global Earthquakes for Response (PAGER): A system for rapidly determining the impact of earthquakes worldwide. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2009-1131, 15 p.
- Allen, T.I., Wald, D.J., Hotovec, A.J., Lin, K., Earle, P.S., and Marano, K.D., 2008. An Atlas of ShakeMaps for selected global earthquakes. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1236, 47 p.