Due to a lapse in appropriations, the majority of USGS websites may not be up to date and may not reflect current conditions. Websites displaying real-time data, such as Earthquake and Water and information needed for public health and safety will be updated with limited support. Additionally, USGS will not be able to respond to inquiries until appropriations are enacted. For more information, please see www.doi.gov/shutdown
Keith Pardieck is a wildlife biologist with U.S. Geological Survey's Patuxent Wildlife Research Center where his research interests include avian conservation, avian sampling techniques, biological monitoring, and citizen science. Keith began his federal service with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service over 20 years ago working towards the recovery of the endangered Puerto Rican Parrot. In the intervening years, he has coauthored numerous scientific articles on various aspects of Caribbean and North American birds and now serves as the National Coordinator of the North American Breeding Bird Survey (BBS), a volunteer-based biological monitoring program. In this position, Keith is responsible for all aspects of the survey, including: managing the collection and delivery of scientifically relevant population data on more than 600 continental bird species each year through the mobilization of thousands of highly skilled citizen scientists scattered across 49 states; collaborating with partners to maintain program integrity across international boundaries; managing an 80-million-record database that spans 50 years; managing >4000 sample locations; and collaborating with partners and researchers to help address developing national concerns while improving the program’s core strengths.
Educated at Indiana University in Biology (B.S.) and Environmental Science (M.S.), Keith is a strong advocate of collaboration to achieve scientific, conservation and community goals. Through this, he has fostered a multinational collaborative effort that expanded the BBS into northern Mexico, making it a truly North American program. While more locally, and on his own time, Keith worked closely with Chesapeake Beach residents, state employees and town officials to develop and implement a local oyster restoration program that, in addition to restoring over 80,000 oysters to the Chesapeake Bay each year, also serves as an environmental education resource hosting numerous school field trips annually in cooperation with Calvert County Public Schools.
- National Program Coordinator. North American Breeding Bird Survey. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, 12100 Beech Forest Road, Laurel, MD 20708. (2001-present)
- Acting Deputy Director. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, 12100 Beech Forest Road, Laurel, MD 20708. (1/2015 - 4/2015)
- Wildlife Biologist. North American Breeding Bird Survey. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, 12100 Beech Forest Road, Laurel, MD 20708. (1995-2000)
- Biological Technician. Puerto Rican Parrot Project. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Puerto Rico Research Station, P.O. Box N, Palmer, PR 00721. (1990-1995)
- Research Intern. Univ. of Puerto Rico, Terrestrial Ecology Division, G.P.O. Box 363682, San Juan, PR 00936. (Summer 1990)
- Research Assistant. Indiana University, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Bloomington, IN 47406. (1989-1990)
- M.S. Environmental Science, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN. June 1995.
- B.S. Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN. August 1989.
Recent Database Releases:
Pardieck, K.L., D.J. Ziolkowski Jr., M.-A.R. Hudson, and K. Campbell. 2016. North American Breeding Bird Survey Dataset 1966 - 2015, version 2015.1. U.S. Geological Survey, Patuxent Wildlife Research Center. doi:10.5066/F7C53HZN (www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/RawData/)
Pardieck, K.L., D.J. Ziolkowski Jr., M.-A.R. Hudson. 2015. North American Breeding Bird Survey Dataset 1966-2014, version 2014.0. U.S. Geological Survey, Patuxent Wildlife Research Center (www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/rawdata)
Pardieck, K.L., D.J. Ziolkowski Jr., M.-A.R. Hudson. 2014. North American Breeding Bird Survey Dataset 1966-2013, version 2013.0. U.S. Geological Survey, Patuxent Wildlife Research Center (ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/BBS/Archivefiles/Version2013v0)