Mikey is a Wildlife Biologist for the North American Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) at the USGS Eastern Ecological Science Center.
He works to strengthen the multi-national, volunteer based BBS using geospatial tools to maintain the survey's sampling network, interacting with thousands of highly-skilled citizen scientists for training and issue reconciliation, working with a team of computer programmers and designers to create innovative and efficient web tools, and spearheading projects that expand the BBS's current capabilities and ensure its historical continuity. A naturalist at heart and by training, Mikey has acrued experience sampling diverse taxa, including invertebrates, fish, birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians through numerous previously held positions with state and federal agencies. Despite his broad command of field and lab techniques, he is best known for his acumen with birds and he is recognized as a technical expert for his skills in the field. With his time in the field, Mikey has developed a keen interest in photographing birds and and he regularly donates his photographs for use in federal, state, and non-governmental publications.
Selected Photo Credits
- 1 photo in Grassland Breeding Birds on National Wildlife Refuges in the Northeast U.S. Fact Sheet by M. Runge (2011)
- 1 photo in Chandler, R. B., J. A. Royle, and D. I. King. 2011. Inference about density and temporary emigration in unmarked populations, Ecology, 92:1429 1435
- 1 photo in Estimating Trend and Detection Probability Using Data from the Breeding Bird Survey fact sheet by A. Royle (2012)
- 1 photo in Understanding Renewable Biological Resources Through Status and Trends Science fact sheet by A. Kinsinger (2012)
- 1 photo in Golden-winged Warbler Conservation web page by The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (2012)
- 1 Photo in Maryland Birdlife 62:1 cover. Maryland Ornithological Society. 2013.
Recent Invited Training Talks
- Duck identification workshop, Maryland Ornithological Society, February 2015.
- Shorebird identification, Patuxent chapter Maryland Ornithological Society and Prince George's Audubon, April 2015