Due to a lapse in appropriations, the majority of USGS websites may not be up to date and may not reflect current conditions. Websites displaying real-time data, such as Earthquake and Water and information needed for public health and safety will be updated with limited support. Additionally, USGS will not be able to respond to inquiries until appropriations are enacted. For more information, please see www.doi.gov/shutdown
What functions are available in the Bander Portal for bird banders?
Use the Bander Portal to:
- View and update your contact information,
- List subpermittees, band inventory, and locations associated with your permit,
- Order bands and confirm bands as received,
- Request transferral of bands TO your permit or FROM your permit to another permit,
- Define which menu options subpermitees have permission to access,
- View tables of valid codes for various banding data fields (e.g. age, sex, etc.) and recommended band sizes by species.
Students Anaga Nmagu and Danielle Travers, hired with ARRA funds, are converting more than one million hand-written bird band recovery records into digital format at the USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center. Once digitized, these invaluable recovery records will be linked to the Bird Banding Laboratory's new Oracle database for easy access by researchers and managers...
Bandit is the latest in a series of programs aimed at helping bird banders manage and submit their data for
banded birds. We have tried to make the process of maintaining banding records as simple as possible.
Bandit was created by the Bird Banding Laboratory (BBL) at the U. S. Geological Survey Patuxent Wildlife
Research Center, Laurel, Maryland.