Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Benefit Changes as a Result of a Move

This fact sheet discusses the impact a move of your personal residence or change to your duty station may have on your Federal benefits. Your salary is based on the locality pay of your official duty station. Locality Pay effects your contributions to your retirement system, TSP (if contributions are based on a percentage of your income), Social Security, Medicare, and Federal Employee Group Life Insurance. Other benefits e.g. health, dental, vision, FSA are based on a fixed dollar amount and are not affected by a move or change to duty station. Below provides additional information on changes you need to make.


Health Benefits (FEHB)

Review your health plan brochure to learn if your current FEHB plan is available in your new location. If your FEHB plan is not available in your new location, you may change plans outside of an open season. Enrollment in a new plan may be made in Employee Express under FEHB Qualifying Life Event.


Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP)

Review your dental and/or vision brochure to learn if your plan is available in your new location. You may change plans outside of an open season if your FEDVIP plan is not available in your new location. You may enroll if you or an eligible family member is losing other dental/vision coverage. You will need to inform Benefeds of your move to ensure proper payments, since the rates for dental coverage are based on your zip code. You have 60 days from the date of the move to make any changes to your FEDVIP plan outside of an open season.  


Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI)

The premiums and value of your policy are based on your basic pay and locality pay. You may notice a change in your premiums.


Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAFEDS)

You will need to notify FSAFEDS of your change of address. Deductions will continue at the same rate you elected at the time you enrolled.


Long Term Care (FLTCIP)

You will need to notify LTC Partners of a change of address. Deductions will continue at the same rate you elected at enrollment.


Transfer-in from Another Agency

If you transferred from another agency and changed payroll offices, your allotments for FEDVIP, FSA, and Long Term Care do not transfer. You may establish allotments in Employee Express and will need to contact BENEFEDS (dental and/or vision insurance), FSAFEDS, and Long Term Care Partners to inform them you have changed Payroll Offices. Our payroll office is the Interior Business Center (IBC) 14-06-9999.


Change of Address

Complete a Change of Address in Employee Express. This ensures your employment records are up-to-date and any communication is sent to your correct address.


Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)

Changing your address in Employee Express notifies the TSP.  Please contact your Benefits Specialist if you encounter problems updating your address with TSP.


State Tax Withholdings

You may need to change your state tax withholdings.   Changes may be made in Employees Express.  Payroll has the various state tax formulas



Contact your Benefits Specialist if you have any questions regarding this information.


«  Return to Helpful Links