Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Retirement Forms

I'm Ready to Retire. What forms do I need to fill out?

When you are ready to retire there are application forms that you will need to complete. The forms are listed and linked below. Complete only the forms that are applicable to you. Original signatures are required on all forms - faxed or emailed forms cannot be submitted to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). You may however fax your forms to your Benefits Specialist for review prior to mailing them if needed. Do not email the forms for review unless you first remove your personally identifying information such as SSN and date of birth on each form.


When should I submit my forms?

If possible, please submit the forms at least 60 days prior to your retirement date. Only submit the forms that you have completed and any additional documentation.


Forms LIST:

CSRS and CSRS Offset retirees


FERS and FERS Transferees


Life Insurance

The SF 2818 form is required if you have life insurance coverage at retirement.


Disability Retirement


Health Insurance

If you are enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program, your coverage will automatically continue if you meet the 5-year requirement; no additional action is required.

If you want to make an Open Season election and will retire before the effective date (the first day of the first pay period in January), do not make your election using Employee Express. You must complete an SF 2809, Health Benefits Election form between Monday of the second full work week in November and the Monday of the second full work week in December and submit it to your Benefits Specialist. It will be included with your retirement application and OPM will handle the processing of your Open Season election after retirement.



  • If you are retired military and will be waiving your military retired pay to receive credit for military service in the computation of your benefit, a military service deposit is required to be paid. You will also need to send a waiver request (see sample below) to the Retired Pay Operations Center at least 60 days before your planned retirement. The address is Defense Finance and Accounting Service, U.S. Military Retirement Pay, P.O. Box 7130, London, KY 40742-7130. Their fax number is 1-800-469-6559.

Sample Waiver Form

"I, ______________________________________(name), ______________________________________ (Serial Number, Social Security Number), hereby waive my military retired pay for Civil Service Retirement purposes effective ___________________ (1st day of retirement).

I hereby authorize the U.S. Office of Personnel Management to withhold from my civil service annuity any amount of military retired pay granted beyond the effective date of this waiver due to any delay in receiving or processing this request."

  • If you are retired from active military duty, made a deposit for your military service, and have decided that you will not combine your military and civilian service for retirement, you must apply for a refund of your military deposit by completing an SF 2802 (CSRS) or SF 3106 (FERS), Application for Refund of Retirement Deductions.


Financial Information

Your current financial information (direct deposit & tax deductions) will automatically be transferred electronically to OPM at retirement. If you wish to make a change prior to retirement, you can do so using Employee Express. Be sure to update the information so that it will become effective prior to your retirement date to ensure that the correct information is transmitted to OPM. If you are not able to make the change in time, you may include a W-4P form with your retirement application. For Direct Deposit you can indicate any changes on the retirement application form.

All SES, SL, and ST financial disclosure report filers must submit an OGE Form 278 termination report to the Ethics Office within 30 days of retirement or separation from your position at USGS. This includes filers who will hold Scientist Emeritus status. The report may not be dated before your last day of Government service. Extensions of time to file may be granted, but a request for extension must be made in writing to the Ethics Office prior to the due date for filing the report. 


Voluntary Contributions

CSRS employees only are eligible to contribute to a voluntary contributions account. At retirement, if you have this type of account, you must complete the RI 38-124 Election form to elect to cash out the account or to obtain additional annuity. This form should be sent directly to OPM about 60 days prior to your retirement. Also read the information contained in the Voluntary Contributions Notice (RI 38-125) and the Special Tax Notice Regarding Rollover (RI 37-22). For more information or assistance with this process, contact OPM at 1-888-828-9451.


Designation of Beneficiary Forms

If you wish to update your forms for retirement, life insurance and/or TSP, you may do this at any time, even after retirement. The forms are available online.


Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) Withdrawal Package

Go to the TSP Separating from Government Web page for more information and forms. You will submit TSP forms directly to the TSP office – do not include them with your retirement application paperwork. Please wait at least 30 days from your separation date before submitting a withdrawal request to TSP. Payroll requires that much time to notify TSP of your separation.

When you separate, you can leave your entire account balance in the TSP if it is $200 or more. Your account will continue to accrue earnings and you can continue to change the way your money is invested in the five TSP investment funds by making Interfund Transfers. In addition, if you leave your money in the TSP, you can transfer funds into the TSP from a traditional IRA or an eligible employer plan.

A note about TSP loans: If you have an outstanding TSP loan, you will have 90 days to pay the loan in full at separation or take a taxable distribution of the unpaid amount. Taking a taxable distribution means that the portion of the loan that hasn't been repaid will be treated as taxable income and you may be liable for the 10% penalty for early withdrawal. If you leave Federal service, a withdrawal request cannot be processed until your loan is closed by either payment in full or taxable distribution.

For information regarding the retirement process, visit the Planning for Retirement page.


« Back to Retirement page