Our lunchtime seminars are held Tuesdays from 12pm to 1 pm PT. The science lectures are held at the USGS Oregon Water Science Center at 2130 SW 5th Avenue in Portland, OR. The presentations are informal and are open to the public. Please, bring your lunch.
If you would like to be notified of upcoming seminars via email, then please sign up for the online mailing list at: https://or.water.usgs.gov/seminars/maillist.html. The online mailing list also will be used to notify its members of seminar cancellations or other schedule changes.
USGS FALL 2018 SEMINAR SCHEDULE
- October 02 - "What's at Risk? A Flood Risk Assessment for the Columbia Corridor Drainage Districts" - Christina Appleby, Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries, Portland, OR
- October 09 - "A Big Dam Problem: Environmental and Social Impacts from the Global Boom in Hydroelectric Development" - Tim Mayer, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, OR
- October 16 - "Projected Changes in Northwest U.S. Hydroclimate" - David Rupp, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- October 23 - "From the Bottom Up: Soil moisture as a prerequisite for ecosystem recovery after single and multiple forest wildfires" - Kevan Moffett, Washington State University, Vancouver, Vancouver, WA
- October 30 - "Controls on sediment accretion and blue carbon burial in salt marshes: Insights from the Oregon coast" - Erin Peck, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
- November 06 - "What should streams look like? Or how does the concept of reference condition relate to the practice of stream restoration" - Steve Wondzell, U.S. Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station, Corvallis, OR
- November 13 - "Assessment of the aquatic plant community and water quality status in Willamette River alcoves and sloughs infested with Ludwigia spp." - Kurt Carpenter, U.S. Geological Survey Oregon Water Science Center
- November 20 - "The exceptionally fine (grained) rivers of the West Coast: How continent-scale variation in sediment supply and hydrology shape grain size and bed mobility" - Allison Pfeiffer, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- November 27 - Loren Davis, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Note: The following schedule is subject to change. Please check this page prior to attending a seminar.
*Disclaimer -- The research, opinions, and materials expressed by presenters are solely of the individuals and are not reflective of the Oregon Water Science Center, the U.S. Geological Survey, or the U.S. Department of the Interior.