USGS EROS Archive - Landsat - Landsat Level-3 Burned Area (BA) Science Product
Science Center Objects
Landsat Level-3 Burned Area (BA) contains two acquisition-based raster data products that represent burn classification and burn probability.
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) offers Landsat Level- 3 Burned Area (BA) data for Landsat 8 Operational Land Imager (OLI), Landsat 7 Enhanced Thematic Mapper Plus (ETM+), and Landsat 4-5 Thematic Mapper (TM). Landsat BA contains two acquisition-based raster data products that represent burn classification and burn probability.
Landsat BA science products are generated from U.S. Landsat Analysis Ready Data (ARD) Surface Reflectance data, processed to 30-meter spatial resolution in Albers Equal Area (AEA) projection using the World Geodetic System 1984 (WGS84) datum, and gridded to a common tiling scheme. These data are processed to the highest scientific standards and can be used directly in monitoring and assessing landscape change.
The following date ranges apply to the availability of the Landsat BA science product:
- Landsat 8 OLI: April 2013 to March 2018
- Landsat 7 ETM+: July 1999 to March 2018
- Landsat 5 TM: March 1984 to May 2012
- A Quality Assessment process was applied to the BA products prior to public release, which includes visually assessing each scene-level BA product for excessive commission errors caused by factors such as incorrect cloud masks or poor georeferencing. Therefore, while the majority of Landsat scenes were used to generate BA products, certain scenes may not be able to be processed to produce a scientifically viable BA product.
- Occasionally some burned areas are incorrectly classified as being water in the BA product. This occurs if the input ARD Pixel QA (PIXELQA) band includes pixels that are flagged as “water, terrain, low-confidence cloud”.
- The product metadata file (XML) lists the band information for both the burn classification and burn probability. The units for the pixel size is “m” and should be “meters” to be compliant with the schema.
- Landsat Missions Web site
- Landsat Burned Area Product Guide
- Landsat Burned Area Algorithm Description Document: TBD
- Landsat Level-3 Burned Area (BA) Science Product Digital Object Identifier (DOI) number: 10.5066/F77W6BDJ
Use EarthExplorer to search and download the Burned Area Product. The data are located under the Landsat category, Landsat Collection 1 Level-3 subcategory, and listed as Burned Area.