- DO NOT turn on the gas again if you turned it off; let the gas company do it
- DO NOT use matches, lighters, camp stoves or barbecues, electrical equipment, appliances UNTIL you are sure there are no gas leaks. They may create a spark that could ignite leaking gas and cause an explosion and fire
- DO NOT use your telephone, EXCEPT for a medical or fire emergency. You could tie up the lines needed for emergency response. If the phone doesn't work send someone for help
- DO NOT expect firefighters, police or paramedics to help you. They may not be available.
- USGS Earthquake Hazards Program - Prepare
- Why rescuers and experts recommend Drop, Cover, and Hold On
- Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills (find resources for individual states)