Specifically, the U.S. Geological Survey has provided scientific and technical assistance to allow for strengthening of the capabilities of the Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST) with emphasis on the Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources as well as other Ministries and Universities. The focus of the science and technology exchange has been on water resources assessments, national, regional, and local water quality laboratories, application of geographic information systems, organic analytical methods for pesticide analyses. In 2008, the USGS in cooperation with Pakistani scientist initiated the creation of an integrated Pakistan water resources and water quality database, and creation of a Center of Excellence in Microbiology. Current activities include the creation of a water resources data warehouse and implementation of a Pakistan National Water Quality Assessment Program with Emphasis on Microbiology near population centers and rural areas.In addition, the USGS has exposed Pakistani scientists to techniques for field collection, data entry, data interpretation, statistics, technical writing, and outreach.
The current Pakistan program is expected to be completed in 2013. Funding has been provided by USAID and State Department since its inception and since 2008 by the State Department’s Biological Engagement Program.
Current and Anticipated Outcomes:
- Reduction in the number of deaths due to microbial contamination of water resources/drinking water supplies by improving analytical testing methods and the understanding of the microbial contamination.
- Creation of a Pakistan National Water Resources Warehouse to encourage data sharing and collaboration, and improve the understanding and management of the water resources of Pakistan at MoST
- Creation of a Center of Excellence in Microbiology at MoST
- Pakistan National Water Quality Assessment Program
- Improved water resources and waste-water management.
Pakistan Ministry of Science and Technology
Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources
U.S. Department of State
U.S. Agency for International Development