Virginia Extensometer Network
This static map shows the locations of the three existing extensometers (red) in the USGS' Virginia Extensometer Network with the location of a fourth future extensometer (green). The basemap is of the Virginia Coastal Plain and shows the severity of groundwater depletion, with darker blue indicating greater groundwater depletion.
- Period of record: 1979-1995; 2016-present
- Depth: 866 ft. below land surface (bls)
- Location significance: proximal to pumping center
- Period of record: 1982-1995; 2016-present
- Depth: 1,599 ft. bls.
- Period of record: 2018-present
- Depth: 1,959 ft. bls.
Location significance: proximity to SWIFT facility
Adapted from Fig. 9 in Eggleston, Jack, and Pope, Jason, 2013, Land subsidence and relative sea-level rise in the southern Chesapeake Bay region: U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1392, 30 p., https://dx.doi.org/10.3133/cir1392.