As part of its monitoring activities, the ANSS includes a national Backbone network, the National Earthquake Information Center (NEIC) , the National Strong Motion Project , and 15 regional seismic networks operated by USGS and its partners.
When earthquakes strike, ANSS delivers real-time information , providing situational awareness for emergency-response personnel. In regions with sufficient seismic stations, that information includes –within minutes–a ShakeMap showing the distribution of potentially damaging ground shaking, information used to target post-earthquake response efforts. When fully implemented, ANSS will provide such dense station coverage for all at-risk urban areas. Information from ANSS is a key input to the USGS National Seismic Hazard Maps, which help communities in earthquake-prone regions develop safer building practices.
Basic station information and operation status. For technical station information, see the ANSS Station Information System (SIS).
Real-time seismograms from ANSS stations
The ANSS data has been used to develop many real-time information products.
- Intermountain West:
- Central & Eastern US:
- Pacific Northwest
- Puerto Rico & US Territories
ANSS Policy & Procedures Documents
- Advanced National Seismic System—Current status, development opportunities, and priorities for 2017–27 (Circular 1429)
- Advanced National Seismic System (USGS Information Sheet, March, 2000)
- An Assessment of Seismic Monitoring in the United States: Requirements for an Advanced National Seismic System (Circular 1188)
- ANSS Management Structure Diagram
- Technical Implementation Plan
- Methods of Installing United States National Seismographic Network (USNSN) Stations–A Construction Manual
- Guideline for ANSS Monitoring of Engineered Civil Systems
- Revised Appendices D, E and F: Submission Form for Candidate Buildings, Geostructures and Infrastructure
- Instrumentation Guidelines:
- ANSS Performance Standards
- ANSS Participation Policy
- ANSS Implementation Standards & Procedures
- ANSS Equipment Policy
- ANSS Data & Products Policy
- Geodetic Networks Standards & Procedures
- EHP Portable Deployments Guidelines
- California Coordinates for West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System (CSV)
- Cascadia Coordinates for West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System (CSV)