Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Compensatory Time Off for Travel

To:  All U.S. Geological Survey Employees
From:  S. Kaye Cook /signed/ Chief, Office of Human Resources
Subject:  Compensatory Time Off for Travel

Beginning January 28, 2005, employees are eligible to earn compensatory time off for time spent in a travel status away from their official duty station when such time is not otherwise compensable. This provision does not apply to employees in the Senior Executive Service and Wage Grade employees.

Until the Department of the Interior issues additional guidance, the following will apply: Whenever possible, supervisors should schedule officially approved travel within regularly scheduled work hours. If travel during regularly scheduled work hours is not possible, supervisors may authorize compensatory time off in accordance with the guidance issued by the Office of Human Resources Management (OPM).

For information about what qualifies as time in travel status and the restrictions of this new provision, see OPM’s interim regulations. You may also review OPM’s questions and answers, and see examples of creditable travel time.

Compensatory time off for travel is credited in increments of 15 minutes. You should use pay code 046 for “Travel Compensatory Time – Earned” and pay code 047 for “Travel Compensatory Time – Used” in Quicktime. Any compensatory time off for travel must be used by the end of the 26th pay period after the pay period in which it was earned, or it will be forfeited. Payment is not authorized for compensatory time off for travel.

Both earned and used compensatory time off for travel will initially be combined with the regular compensatory time balances on the leave and earnings statements. The National Business Center is currently working with Employee Express to ensure that compensatory time off for travel balances will be displayed separately in the near future.

If you have any questions, please contact your servicing Human Resources Office for assistance.


« Return to Payroll Information