Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Name Change

To start the name change process, email the following documentation* to Mark Knapp at

  • 2 forms of identification with the employee’s new legal name (View a List of Acceptable Forms of Identification)
  • Legal documentation supporting the name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).
  • Provide the employee’s current home mailing address if recent residential move occurred.

*Digital copies of these documents are acceptable.

Once all documentation is received, the Human Resources Office will:

  • process the name change in the Federal Personnel and Payroll System (FPPS);
  • initiate enrollment for a new Personal Identity Verification (PIV) card;
  • send a request to the USGS IT Service Desk to assign a new User Principal Name (UPN and email address);
  • notify the employee’s Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) carrier.

The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) Office will be notified of the name change once the employee’s personnel record is updated in FPPS.

The employee will need to work with their Administrative Officer to request a new government credit card after their personnel record has been updated.

If the name change is due to a change in marital status, the employee is eligible to make benefits changes. See OPM’s Healthcare & Insurance/Life Events.


« Return to Helpful Links