Workforce Planning is a strategic planning process that involves analyzing, forecasting, and planning workforce supply and demand, assessing gaps, and determining strategies to ensure that an organization has the right people - with the right skills in the right places at the right time - to fulfill its mission and objectives.
Workforce planning occurs at multiple organizational levels. Workforce planning tools and resources are designed to be flexible and can be adapted for use at different organization levels. There is also a set of standard workforce data that can be used at various organizational levels.
This site can help you—
- Learn more about workforce planning
- Create an effective workforce now and into the future with the Workforce Planning Toolkit
- Contact people who can help
- See the USGS Workforce Plan and other helpful data and resources
The Office of Human Resources' Strategic Initiatives (SI) Team invites you to utilize these available tools and information, especially the Quick and Program Links, on this site as you undertake workforce planning for your organization. Keep in mind that USGS workforce planning tools and techniques are still evolving and will continue to do so with each workforce planning effort.
We welcome your suggestions and ideas for improvement of these tools, as well as your thoughts on the usefulness of this site. For assistance and support in workforce planning efforts, contact any SI Team member.
- Strategic Initiatives Team
- Workforce Planning Toolkit
- USGS Workforce Planning Desk Guide
- USGS Workforce Planning Data Guide
- USGS 2015—2020 Workforce Plan
- USGS 2008—2013 Workforce Plan
- Demographics, Measures, and Metrics
- Hiring Guidance
→ If you have problems retrieving or viewing PDFs or documents on the Human Capital website email firstname.lastname@example.org.