Uri ten Brink
My research focuses on quantifying tectonic and morphological processes and their impacts on the assessments of tsunami, landslide, and earthquake hazards. I am also interested in bridging gaps between disciplines in Earth Sciences. I am the project chief of the USGS Marine Geohazards: Sources and probability project and in charge of the USGS ocean bottom seismometers.
- 1981-1986 Ph.D. Geological Sciences Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
- 1977-1980 B.Sc. Geology and Physics, The Hebrew University, Israel
- 1991-present Research geophysicist, USGS, Woods Hole Coastal and Marine Science Center
- 2015-present Editor in Chief, Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth
- 1999-present Adjunct Scientist, The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- 2013-2016 Professor and Chairman, Department of Marine Geosciences, University of Haifa
- 2016-present Affiliate Professor, University of Haifa
- 1991-1996 Consulting Associate Professor, Stanford University
- 1987-1991 Post-doctoral scholar, Stanford University
- 1986-1987 Post-doctoral scholar, Tel Aviv University
OTHER ACADEMIC SERVICES
- Chairman, U.S.-Israel Bi-National Science Foundation panel for Earth and Atmospheric sciences, 2015
- Member - Netherlands Science Foundation panel on Caribbean natural and social sciences, 2014
- Member, ITU-WMO-UNESCO/IOC Joint Task Force on Submarine Cables for Tsunami Warnings and Scientific Research, 2013
- Co-convenor, Workshop on landslide tsunami probability, 2011
- Member, NSF panel evaluating the management structure of the ocean bottom seismometer facilities, 2011
- Guest editor- Marine Geology "Assessment of tsunami hazards to the U.S. Atlantic coast", 2009
- Member, IODP evaluation panel for multi-leg ‘mission’ proposals, 2007
- Leader- Reports and Presentations about tsunami hazard in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico coasts to Nuclear Regulatory Commission, NOAA NTHMP, FEMA, NOAA Weather service, National Research Council, 2006 - 2016
- Associate Editor - Terra Nova, 2007 - 2012
- USGS representative to the National Association of State Boards of Geology, 2004-2007
- Member, NSF-MARGINS Steering Committee, 2004-2007
- Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research, 1996 - 1998
- Member, Ocean Drilling Program Tectonics Panel, 1992-1996
- Search committee member for an editor for the journal Tectonics, 1995
- Tectonophysics Section chairman and organizing committee member, Fall AGU meeting, 1994
- Tectonophysics Section member and organizing committee member, Fall AGU meeting, 1993
- Member, Advisory committee on the Antarctic Lithosphere to OPP, NSF, 1990 – 1994
Advisor for 3 Ph.D. students and 1 M.Sc. student at the University of Haifa. Partial advisor for eight Ph.D. students and an M.Sc. student from Stanford University, MIT, MIT/WHOI Joint Program, Columbia University, the University of Madrid, and the University of Haifa. Ph.D. Committee member for additional five students from the MIT/WHOI Joint Program and from Tel Aviv University. Supervisor/co-supervisor of ten post-doctoral fellows funded by the joint WHOI/USGS, Helmsley Foundation, and USGS Mendenhall programs. Supervisor of one Fulbright Scholar and undergraduate projects
- 40 cruises (25 as chief scientist)
- 3 over-ice land traverses, Antarctica (co-chief scientist)
- 4 Airborne magnetic, land gravity, and land seismic surveys (co-chief scientist)
HONORS, AWARDS, RECOGNITION, ELECTED MEMBERSHIPS
- 2016 – Fellow, American Geophysical Union
- 2010 – Senior Scientist (ST), Federal government
- 2007/8 – Distinguished Lecturer – Seismological Society of America/ IRIS
- 1996 - Fellow, Geological Society of America
- 1990 - Royal Society of New Zealand annual prize for Geophysics
Quantifying tectonic processes
Lithospheric flexure and mid-plate volcanism
- Watts, A.B., U.S. ten Brink, P. Buhl, and T.M. Brocher, A multichannel seismic study of lithospheric flexure across the Hawaiian-Emperor seamount chain, Nature, v. 315, pp. 105-111, 1985.
- ten Brink, U.S., and A.B. Watts, Seismic stratigraphy of the flexural moat flanking the Hawaiian islands, Nature, v. 317, pp. 421-424, 1985.
- Brocher, T.M., and U.S. ten Brink, Variations in oceanic layer 2 elastic velocities and their correlation to lithospheric flexure, J. Geophys. Res., v. 92, pp. 2647-2661, 1987.
- ten Brink, U.S., and T.M. Brocher, Multichannel seismic evidence for a subcrustal intrusive complex under Oahu and a model for Hawaiian volcanism, J. Geophys. Res., v. 92, pp. 13,687-13,707, 1987.
- ten Brink, U.S., and T.M. Brocher, Multichannel seismic evidence for variations in crustal thickness across the Molokai fracture zone in the mid-Pacific, J. Geophys. Res., v. 93, pp. 1119-1130, 1988.
- Watts, A.B., and U.S. ten Brink, Crustal structure, flexure, and subsidence of the Hawaiian Islands, J. Geophys. Res., v. 94, pp. 10,473-10,500, 1989.
- ten Brink, U.S., Volcano spacing and plate rigidity, Geology, v. 19, pp. 397-400, 1991.
Rift-margin uplift: The Transantarctic Mountains
- Stern, T., and U.S. ten Brink, Flexural uplift of the Transantarctic mountains, J. Geophys. Res., v. 94, pp. 10,315-10,330, 1989.
- Stern, T. and U.S. ten Brink, Sounding the bottom of the world, New Scientist, pp. 41-43, August 31, 1991.
- ten Brink, U.S., B. Beaudoin, and T. Stern, Seismic study of lithospheric flexure in the vicinity of the Ross Archipelago, Antarctica, Extended abstract to the Sixth International Symposium on Antarctic Earth Science, Tokyo, Tokyo, pp. 587-592, Cambridge University Press, 1991.
- ten Brink, U.S., and T. Stern, Rift-margin uplifts and flexural inland basins: Comparison between the Transantarctic Mountains and the Great Escarpment of southern Africa, J. Geophys. Res., v. 97, pp. 569-585, 1992.
- ten Brink, U.S., S. Bannister, B.C. Beaudoin, and T. Stern, Geophysical investigations of the tectonic boundary between East and West Antarctica, Science, v. 261, pp. 45-50, 1993.
- ten Brink, U., and S. Bannister, EAST93 - Geophysical traverse from the transantarctic mountains to the Wilkes Basin, East Antarctica, USGS Open-File Report 95-225, 93 pp., 1995.
- ten Brink, U.S., R.I. Hackney, S. Bannister, T.A. Stern, and Y. Makovsky, Uplift of the Transantarctic Mountains and the bedrock under the East Antarctic ice cap, J. Geophys. Res., v. 102, pp. 27,603-27,621, 1997.
- Bannister, S., A. Melhuish, S. Henrys, T. Stern, and U. ten Brink, Deep seismic reflections beneath the Trans-Antarctic Mountain front from reprocessed SERIS seismic data, Terra Antarctica, v. 6, p. 363-364, 1999.
Transform plate boundaries
Queen Charlotte Fault (SE Alaska-Canada)
- Brothers, D. S., P. Haeussler, A. East, U. ten Brink, B. Andrews, P. Dartnell, N. Miller, and J. Kluesner (2017), A closer look at an undersea source of Alaskan earthquakes, Eos, 98, https://doi.org/10.1029/2017EO079019.
- ten Brink, U. S., Miller, N. C., Andrews, B. D., Brothers, D. S., & Haeussler, P. J. (2018). Deformation of the Pacific/North America plate boundary at Queen Charlotte Fault: The possible role of rheology. Journal of Geophysical Research, 123. https://doi.org/10.1002/2017JB014770.
The Dead Sea Transform
- Steckler, M.S., and U.S. ten Brink, Lithospheric strength variations as a control on new plate boundaries: examples from the northern Red Sea region, Earth. Planet. Sci. Lett., v. 79, pp. 120-132, 1986.
- Ben-Avraham, Z., and U.S. ten Brink, Transverse faults and segmentation of basins within the Dead Sea rift, special volume of J. African Earth Sci., edited by B. Rosendahl, v. 8, pp. 603-616, 1989.
- ten Brink, U.S., N. Schoenberg, R.L. Kovach, and Z. Ben-Avraham, Uplift and a possible Moho offset across the Dead Sea Transform, Tectonophys., v. 180, pp. 77-92, 1990.
- ten Brink, U.S., R. Katzman, and J. Lin, Three-dimensional models of crustal deformation near strike-slip faults, J. Geophys. Res., v. 101, pp. 16,205-16,220, 1996.
- ten Brink, U., M. Rybakov, A. Al-Zoubi, M. Hassouneh, A. Batayneh, U. Frieslander, V. Goldschmidt, M. Daoud, Y. Rotstein, and J.K. Hall, The anatomy of the Dead Sea plate boundary: Does it reflect continuous changes in plate motion? Geology, v. 27, pp. 887-980, 1999.
- ten Brink, U., A. Al-Zoubi, and M. Rybakov, Bouguer gravity anomaly map of the Dead Sea fault system, Jordan and Israel: Contour interval 3 mGal, scale 1:200,000, USGS Open-File Report 01-216, 2001.
- ten Brink, U.S., M. Rybakov, A.S. Al-Zoubi, and Y. Rotstein, The magnetic character of a large continental transform: An aeromagnetic survey of the Dead Sea fault, Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst. (G-Cubed), 8, Q07005, doi:10.1029/2007GC001582, 2007. Large-format figures are also available (TIF files).
- Holbrook, W.S., T.M. Brocher, U.S. ten Brink, and J.A. Hole, Crustal structure of a transform plate boundary: San Francisco Bay and the central California continental margin, J. Geophys. Res., v. 101, pp. 22,311-22,334, 1996.
- Brocher, T.M., U.S. ten Brink, and T. Abramovitz, Synthesis of crustal seismic structure argues against a slab gap in California, International Geology Review, v. 41, pp. 263-274, 1999.
- ten Brink, U.S., N. Shimizu, and P. Molzer, Plate deformation at depth under California - slab gap or stretched slab? Tectonics, v. 18, pp. 1084-1098, 1999.
- ten Brink, U.S., J. Zhang, T.M. Brocher, D.A. Okaya, K.D. Klitgord, and G.S. Fuis, Geophysical evidence for the evolution of the California Inner Borderland as a metamorphic core complex, J. Geophys. Res., v. 105, pp. 5835-5857, 2000.
Evolution of continental rifts and transform basins to slow spreading
Dead Sea Transform
- ten Brink, U.S., and Z. Ben-Avraham, The anatomy of a pull-apart basin: seismic reflection observations of the Dead Sea basin, Tectonics, v. 8, pp. 333-350, 1989.
- ten Brink, U.S., Z. Ben-Avraham, R.E. Bell, M. Hassouneh, D.F. Coleman, G. Andreasen, G. Tibor, and B. Coakley, Structure of the Dead Sea pull-apart basin from gravity analyses, J. Geophys. Res., v. 98, pp. 21,877-21,894, 1993.
- Katzman, R., U.S. ten Brink, J. and Lin, 3-D modeling of pull-apart basins: Implications for the tectonics of the Dead Sea Basin, J. Geophys. Res. v. 100, pp. 6295-6312, 1995.
- Ben-Avraham, Z., U.S. ten Brink, R. Bell, and M. Rezhnikov, Gravity field over the Sea of Galilee: Evidence for a composite basin along a transform fault, J. Geophys. Res., v. 101, pp. 533-544, 1996.
- A. Hofstetter, M. Rybakov, and U. ten Brink, Comment on "New evidence of magmatic diapirs in the intermediate crust under the Dead Sea, Israel" by Nitzan Rabinowitz, Jean Steinberg, and Yossi Mart, Tectonics, v. 17, pp 819820, 1998.
- Al-Zoubi, A., and U.S. ten Brink, Salt diapirs in the Dead Sea basin and their relationship to quaternary extensional tectonics, Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 18, pp. 779-797, 2001.
- Al-Zoubi, A., and U.S. ten Brink, Lower crustal flow and the role of shear in basin subsidence: An example from the Dead Sea basin, Earth. Planet. Sci. Lett., v. 199, pp. 67-79, 2002.
- ten Brink, U.S., Corrigendum to 'Lower crustal flow and the role of shear in basin subsidence: An example from the Dead Sea Basin', Earth. Planet. Sci. Lett., v. 201, pp. 447-448, 2002.
- Rybakov,M., Fleischer, L., and U. ten Brink, The Hula Valley subsurface structure inferred from gravity data, Isr. J. Earth Sci., v. 52: pp. 113–122, 2003
- ten Brink, U.S., A.S. Al-Zoubi, C.H. Flores, Y. Rotstein, I. Qabbani, S.H. Harder, and G.R. Keller, Seismic imaging of deep low-velocity zone beneath the Dead Sea basin and transform fault: Implications for strain localization and crustal rigidity, Geophysical Research Letters, v. 33, L24314, doi:10.1029/2006GL027890, December 23, 2006.
- Al-Zoubi, A.S., T. Heinrich, I Qabbani, and U.S. ten Brink The northern end of the Dead Sea basin: Geometry from reflection seismic evidence, Tectonophysics, v. 434, 55-69, 2007.
- ten Brink, U.S., and C.H. Flores, Geometry and subsidence history of the Dead Sea basin: A case for fluid-induced mid-crustal zone?, Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 116, doi:10.1029/2010JB008711, 2011.
Baikal and Cayman Trough
- ten Brink, U.S., and M.H. Taylor, Crustal structure of central Lake Baikal: Insights into intracontinental rifting, J. Geophys. Res., v. 107, no. B7, 10.1029/2001JB000300, 2002.
- ten Brink, U.S., D.F. Coleman, and W.P. Dillon, Asymmetric crustal thickness across Cayman spreading center and transitional crust in Cayman Trough from gravity, Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 19, pp. 971-987, 2002.
Subduction plate boundaries
- Dillon, W.F., J. Acosta, E. Uchupi, and U.S. ten Brink, Joint Spanish-American research uncovers fracture pattern in northeastern Caribbean, Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, v. 79, no. 28, pp. 336-7, 1998.
- ten Brink, U.S. and Lin, J., Stress interaction between subduction earthquakes and forearc strike-slip faults: Modeling and application to the northern Caribbean plate boundary, J. Geophys. Res., v. 109, B12310, doi:1029/2004JB003031, 2004.
- ten Brink, J., and ten Brink, U., The Puerto Rico Trench: Exploring the deepest place in the Atlantic Ocean, 14-minute educational film about sea floor mapping and tsunami and earthquake hazards, 2004.
- ten Brink, U.S., Vertical motions in the Puerto Rico trench and Puerto Rico and their cause, Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 100, B06404, doi:10.1020/2004JB003459, 2005.
- ten Brink, U.S., S. Marshak, and J.-L. Granja Bruña, Bivergent thrust wedges surrounding oceanic island arcs: Insight from observations and sandbox models of the northeastern Caribbean plate, Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 121, p. 1522-1536, 2009.
- Granja Bruña, J.L., ten Brink, U.S., Carbó-Gorosabel, A., Muñoz-Martín, A., Gómez Ballesteros, M., Morphotectonics of the central Muertos thrust belt and Muertos Trough (northeastern Caribbean), Marine Geology, v. 263, no. 1-4, p. 7-33, doi:10.1016/j.margeo.2009.03.010, 2009.
- Chaytor, J.D., and ten Brink, U.S., Extension in Mona Passage, Northeast Caribbean, Tectonophysics, v. 493, p. 74-92, 2010.
- Granja Bruña, J. L., Muñoz-Martín, A., ten Brink, U. S., Carbó-Gorosabel, A., Llanes Estrada, P., Martín-Dávila, J., Córdoba-Barba D., Catalán Morollón, M. (2010). Gravity modeling of the Muertos Trough and tectonic implications (north-eastern Caribbean). Marine Geophysical Researches V. 31, 263-283, DOI: 10.1007/s11001-010-9107-8.
- ten Brink, U.S., and Lopez-Venegas, A.M., Plate interactions in the NE Caribbean subduction zone from continuous GPS observations, Geophysical Research Letters, v. 39, doi:10.1029/2012GL051485, 2012.
- Meighan, H.E., Pulliam, J., ten Brink, U., and Lopez-Venegas, A.M., Seismic evidence for a slab tear at the Puerto Rico Trench, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, v. 118, 1-9, doi:10.1002/jgrb.50227, 2013.
- Meighan, H.E., ten Brink, U. and Pulliam, J., Slab tears and intermediate-depth seismicity, Geophysical Research Letters, v. 40, 1-5, DOI: 10.1002/grl.50830, 2013.
- Andrews, B.D., ten Brink, U.S., Danforth, W.W., Chaytor, J.D., Granja Bruña, José-Luis, Llanes Estrada, Pilar, and Carbó-Gorosabel, Andrés, 2014, Bathymetric terrain model of the Puerto Rico trench and the northeastern Caribbean region for marine geological investigations: USGS Open-File Report 2013–1125, 10 p., 1pl., http://dx.doi.org/10.3133/ofr20131125.
- Granja Bruña, J. L., ten Brink, U. S., A., Muñoz-Martín, A., Carbó-Gorosabel, A., Llanes Estrada, P., 2015, Shallower structure and geomorphology of the southern Puerto Rico offshore margin, Marine and Petroleum Geology, 67, 30-56.
- Flueh, E.R., M.A. Fisher, (in alphabetical order:) J. Bialas, J.M. Childs, D. Klaeschen, N. Kukowski, T. Parsons, D. Scholl, U. ten Brink, A. Trehu, and N. Vidal, New seismic images of the Cascadia subduction zone from Cruise SO108-ORWELL, Tectonophysics, v. 293, pp. 69-84, 1998.
- Parsons, T., A.M. Trehu, J.H. Luetgert, K. Miller, F. Kilbride, R.E. Wells, M.E. Fisher, E. Flueh, U.S. ten Brink, and N.I. Christensen, A new view into the Cascadia subduction zone and volcanic arc: Implications for earthquake hazards along the Washington margin, Geology, v. 26, pp. 199-202, 1998.
- Parsons, T., R.E. Wells, M.A. Fisher, E. Flueh, and U.S. ten Brink, Three-dimensional velocity structure of Siletzia and other accreted terranes in the Cascadia fore arc of Washington, J. Geophys. Res., v. 104, pp. 18,015-18,039, 1999.
Assessments of natural hazards: earthquakes, tsunamis, and submarine landslides
- ten Brink, U.S., P.C. Molzer, M.A. Fisher, R.J. Blakely, R.C. Bucknam, T. Parsons, R.S. Crosson, and K.C. Kreager, Subsurface geometry and evolution of the Seattle fault zone and the Seattle basin, Washington, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, v. 92, no. 5, pp. 1737-1753, 2002.
- ten Brink, U.S., Song, J., and Bucknam, R.J. Rupture Models for the A.D. 900-930 Seattle fault earthquake from uplifted shorelines, Geology, v. 34, 585-588, 2006.
- ten Brink, U.S., W.P. Dillon, A. Frankel, R. Rodriguez, and C. Mueller, Seismic and tsunami hazards in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, USGS Open-File Report 99-353, 1999.
- Dillon, W.P., U.S. ten Brink, A. Frankel, R. Rodriguez, and C. Mueller, Seismic and tsunami hazards in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands: A report on a USGS Workshop, March 23-24, 1999, EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, v. 80, pp. 309-310, 1999.
- ten Brink, U.S., Danforth, W., Polloni, C., Andrews, B., Llanes Estrada, P., Smith, S., Parker, E., Uozumi, T., New seafloor map of the Puerto Rico trench helps assess earthquake and tsunami hazards in the northwest Caribbean, EOS, v., 85, no. 37, p. 349, 354, 2004.
- Barkan R., and ten Brink, U.S., Tsunami simulations of the 1867 Virgin Islands earthquake: Constraints on epicenter location and fault parameters, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, v. 100, p. 995-1009, 2010.
- ten Brink, U.S., Bakun, W.H., and Flores, C.H., Historical perspective on seismic hazard to Hispaniola and the northeast Caribbean region, Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 116, doi:10.1029/2010JB008497, 2011.
- Bakun, W.H., Flores, C.H., and ten Brink, U.S., Significant Earthquakes on the Enriquillo Fault System, Hispaniola, 1500-2010: Implications for Seismic Hazard, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, v. 102, pp. 18-30, 2012.
- Flores, C.F., ten Brink, U.S., and Bakun, W.H., 2012, Accounts of damage from historical earthquakes in the northeastern Caribbean to aid in the determination of their location and intensity magnitudes: USGS, Open-File Report 2011–1133, 237 p., at http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2011/1133.
- ten Brink, U.S., Bakun, W.H., and Flores, C.H., Reply to a comment by Carol S. Prentice, Paul Mann, and Luis R. Pena (PDF) on: Historical perspective on seismic hazard to Hispaniola dn the northeast Caribbean region" by U. ten Brink et al. (2011), Journal of Geophysical Research Solid Earth, v. 118, pp. 1-3, 2013.
- ten Brink, U. S., W. H. Bakun, and C. H. Flores (2013), Seismic hazard from the Hispaniola subduction zone: Correction to “Historical perspective on seismic hazard to Hispaniola and the northeast Caribbean region,” J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 118, doi:10.1002/jgrb.50388.
- ten Brink, U.S., Geist, E.L., Lynett, P., and Andrews, B., Submarine slides north of Puerto Rico and their tsunami potential, Caribbean Tsunami Hazard, edited by A. Mercado and P. Liu, World Scientific Publishers, Singapore, p. 67-90, 2006.
- ten Brink, U.S., Geist, E.L., and Andrews, B.D., Size distribution of submarine landslides and its implication to tsunami hazard in Puerto Rico, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L11307, doi:10.1029/2006GL26125, 2006.
- López-Venegas, A.M., ten Brink, U.S., and Geist, E.L., Submarine landslide as the source for the October 11, 1918 Mona Passage tsunami: Observations and modeling, Marine Geology, v. 254, pp. 35-46, 2008.
- Atwater, B.F., ten Brink, U.S., Buckley, M, Robert S. Halley, R.S., Jaffe, B.E., Lopez-Venegas, A.M., Reinhardt, E.C., Tuttl, M.P., Watt, S. and Wei, Y., Geomorphic and stratigraphic evidence for an unusual tsunami or storm a few centuries ago at Anegada, British Virgin Islands, Natural Hazards, v. 63, pp. 51-84, 2012.
- Chaytor, J.D. and U.S. ten Brink, Slope failures and timing of turbidity flows north of Puerto Rico, Submarine Mass Movements and their Consequences: Advances in Natural and Technological Hazards Research, S. Krastel et al. (eds.), v. 37, p. 617-628, Springer International, 2014.
- Atwater, B.F., ten Brink, U.S., Cescon, A.L., Feuillet, N., Fuentes, Z., Halley, R.B., Nuñez, C., Reinhardt, E.G., Roger, J.H., Sawai, Y., Spiske, M., Tuttle, M.P., Wei, Y., and Weil-Accardo, J., 2017, Extreme waves in the British Virgin Islands during the last centuries before 1500 CE: Geosphere, v. 13, no. 2, p. 1–68, doi:10.1130/GES01356.1.
Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico
- Geist, E.L., Parsons, T., ten Brink, U.S., and Lee, H.J., 2009, Tsunami Probability, in Bernard, E.N., and Robinson, A.R., eds., The Sea, v. 15: Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard University Press, p. 93-135.
- ten Brink, U., D. Twichell, E. Geist, J. Chaytor, J. Locat, H. Lee, B. Buczkowski, R. Barkan, A. Solow, B. Andrews, T. Parsons, P. Lynett, J. Lin, and M. Sansoucy, Evaluation of tsunami sources with the potential to impact the U.S. Atlantic and Gulf coasts, USGS Administrative report to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, 300 pp., August 22, 2008.
- ten Brink, U., D.C. Twichell, P. Lynett, E.L. Geist, J.D. Chaytor, H.J. Lee, B.J. Buczkowski, and C.H. Flores, Regional assessment of tsunami potential in the Gulf of Mexico, USGS Administrative report to the National Tsunami Hazard Mitigation Program (NTHMP), 2009.
- ten Brink, U., Tsunami hazard along the U.S. Atlantic coast, Marine Geology, v. 264, no. 1-2, p. 1-3, 2009.
- ten Brink, U. S., Lee, H. J., Geist, E. L. and Twichell, D., Assessment of tsunami hazard to the U.S. East Coast using relationships between submarine landslides and earthquakes, Marine Geology, v. 264, no. 1-2, p. 65-73, 2009.
- Barkan, R., ten Brink, U., and Lin, J., Far field tsunami simulations of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake: Implications for tsunami hazard to the U.S. East Coast and the Caribbean, Marine Geology, v. 264, no. 1-2, p. 109-122, 2009.
- Chaytor, J.D., Twichell, D.C., ten Brink, U.S., Buczkowski, B.J., and Andrews, B.D., Revisiting submarine mass movements along the U.S. Atlantic continental margin: Implications for tsunami hazards, in Lykousis, V., Sakellariou, D. and Locat, J. (eds.). Submarine Mass Movements and Their Consequences, 395-403, 2007.
- Whitmore, P., ten Brink, U., Caropolo, M., Huerfano-Moreno, V., Knight, W., Sammler, W., and Sandrik, A., NOAA/West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center Atlantic Ocean Response Criteria, Science of Tsunami Hazards, v. 28, no. 2, pp. 86-107, 2009.
- Chaytor, J.D., Twichell, D.C., and ten Brink, U.S., A Reevaluation of the Munson-Nygren-Retriever Submarine Landslide Complex, Georges Bank Lower Slope, Western North Atlantic, In: Yamada, Y., et al. (eds.) Submarine Mass Movements and their Consequences: Advances in Natural and Technological Hazards Research, Vol. 31, p. 135-146, Springer, Dordrect, 2011.
- Geist, E.L. and U.S. ten Brink, NRC/USGS Workshop Report: Landslide Tsunami Probability, USGS administrative report to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, 43 pp. and, 530 pp. appendix. 2012.
- Geist, E.L., Chaytor, J.D., Parsons, T., and ten Brink, U.S., Estimation of submarine mass failure probability from a sequence of deposits with age dates, Geosphere, v.9, p. 287-298, 2013.
- ten Brink, U.S., Chaytor, J.D., Geist, E.L., Brothers, D.S., and Andrews, B.D., Assessment of tsunami hazard to the U.S. Atlantic margin, Review Article, Marine Geology, v. 353, p. 31-54, 2014.
- Geist, E.L, ten Brink, U.S., and Gove, M., A framework for the probabilistic analysis of meteotsunamis, Natural Hazards, v. 74, p. 123-142, 2014. doi:10.1007/s11069-014-1294-1.
- ten Brink, U.S., Chaytor, J.D., Geist, E.L., Brothers, D.S., Flores, C.H., Andrews, B.D., Miller, N.C., Hill, J.C., Atwater, B.F, and Locat, J., Tsunami Hazard Assessment for the U.S. Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, Technical Letter Report to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (US-NRC), 335 pp., 2016.
- Flores, C.H., U. S. ten Brink, J. McGuire, and J. Collins, Observations of seismicity and Attenuation of the Northeast U.S. Atlantic Margin From Ocean Bottom Seismometer Data, Seismological Research Letters, 2016.
Quantifying morphological processes
Glaciated continental shelves
- Cooper, A.K., S. Eittreim, U.S. ten Brink, and I. Zayatz, Cenozoic Glacial sequences of the Antarctic Continental margin as recorders of Antarctic ice-sheet fluctuations, in The Antarctic Paleoenvironment: A perspective on global change, Antarctic Research Series, v. 60, Edited by J. Kennett, American Geophys. Union, pp. 75-89, 1993.
- ten Brink, U., Tectonic subsidence and the stratigraphy of the Antarctic continental margins and intracontinental basins, Terra Antarctica, v. 1, pp. 255-257, 1994.
- ten Brink, U., and C. Schneider, Glacial morphology and depositional sequences of the Antarctic continental shelf, Geology, v. 23, pp. 580-584, 1995.
- ten Brink, U., C. Schneider, and A.H. Johnson, Morphology and stratal geometry the Antarctic continental shelf: Insights from models, in Geology and seismic stratigraphy of the Antarctic margin, Antarctic Research Series, v. 68, Edited by A. Cooper, P. Barker, and J. Brancollini, American Geophysical Union, Washington, pp. 1-24, 1995.
- Meckel, T.A., ten Brink, U.S., and Williams, S.J., Estimating present compaction rates in coastal deltaic environments - numerical methods and stratigraphic influences, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L11403, doi:10.1029 /2006GL26300, 2006.
- Meckel, T.A., ten Brink, U.S., and Williams, S.J., Sediment compaction rates and subsidence in deltatic plains: numerical constraints and stratigraphic influences, Basin Research, 19, 19-31, 2007.
Atlantic margin morphology, canyon formation and landslide initiation
- Chaytor, J. D., ten Brink, U. S., Solow, A. R., and Andrews, B. D., Size distribution of submarine landslides along the U.S. Atlantic Margin, Marine Geology, v. 264, no. 1-2, p. 16-27, 2009.
- Locat, J., H.J. Lee, U. ten Brink, D. Twichell, E. Geist and M. Sansoucy, Geomorphology, Stability and Mobility of the Currituck Slide, Marine Geology, v. 264, no. 1-2, p. 28-40, 2009.
- Twichell, D.C., J.D. Chaytor, U.S. ten Brink, and B. Buczkowski, Morphology of late Quaternary Submarine Landslides along the U.S. Atlantic Continental Margin, Marine Geology, v. 264, no. 1-2, p. 4-15, 2009.
- Brothers, D.S., ten Brink, U.S., Andrews, B.D., Chaytor, J.D., and Twichell, D.C., Geomorphic process fingerprints in submarine canyons, Marine Geology, v. 337, p. 53-66, 2013.
- Brothers, D.D., ten Brink, U.S., Andrews, B.D., and Chaytor, J.D., Geomorphic characterization of the U.S. Atlantic continental margin, Marine Geology, v. 338, p. 46-63, 2013.
- Andrews, B.D., Chaytor, J.D., ten Brink, U.S., Brothers, D.S., and Gardner, J.V., 2013, Bathymetric terrain model of the Atlantic margin for marine geological investigations: USGS Open-File Report 2012–1266, 11 p., http:/pubs.usgs.gov/of/2012/1266/.
- Obelcz, J., Brothers, D., Chaytor, J., ten Brink, U., Ross, S.W., and Brooke, S., Geomorphic characterization of four shelf-sourced submarine canyons along the U.S.Mid-Atlantic continental margin, Deep-Sea Research II, v. 104, p. 106-119, 2014.
- Hill, J.C., D.S. Brothers, B.K. Craig, U.S. ten Brink, J.D. Chaytor, and C.H. Flores, The Role of antecedent geology in submarine slope failure: An examination of the Currituck Slide Complex, U.S. Atlantic Margin, Marine Geology, 2016.
- Chaytor, J.D., and ten Brink, U.S., Event sedimentation in low-latitude deep-water carbonate basins, Anegada passage, northeast Caribbean, Basin Research, p. 1-26, 2014.
- Andrews, B.D., U.S. ten Brink, W.W. Danforth, J.D. Chaytor,, J-L Granja-Bruna, P. Llanes Estrada, and A. Carbo-Gorosobel, Bathymetric terrain model of the Puerto Rico Trench and Northeast Caribbean for marine geological investigations, USGS Open-file report 2013-1125, 2014 http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2013/1125/
Submarine slope failures
- ten Brink, U.S., R. Barkan, B.D. Andrews, and J.D. Chaytor, Size distributions and failure initiation of submarine and subaerial landslides, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 287, pp. 31-42, 2009.
- ten Brink, U. S., Andrews, B. D., & Miller, N. C., 2016. Seismicity and sedimentation rate effects on submarine slope stability. Geology, 44, 563-566.
Processing and modeling seismic reflection and refraction data
- Beaudoin, B.C., U.S. ten Brink, and T.A. Stern, Characteristics and processing of seismic data collected on thick, floating ice: Results from the Ross Ice Shelf, Antarctica, Geophysics, v. 57, pp. 1359-1372, 1992.
- Zhang, J., U.S. ten Brink, and M.N. Toksoz, Non-linear refraction and reflection travel time tomography: Application to the crustal structure of the California Borderland, J. Geophys. Res., v. 103, pp. 29,743-29,757, 1998.
- Loss, J., U. ten Brink, and I. Pecher, RayGui - A graphical 2-D ray-tracing interface for UNIX, EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, v. 79, no. 28, p. 334, 1998.
- Loss, J., I. Pecher, and U. ten Brink, RayGUI - a graphical 2-D ray-tracing package for UNIX, USGS Open-File Report 98-203, 1998.
- Song, J., and ten Brink, U.S., Graphical user interface (RayGUI 2.0) for interactive seismic ray tracing, EOS, v. 86, no. 9, p. 90, 2005.
- Song, J. and U. ten Brink, RayGUI 2.0-A Graphical User Interface for Interactive Forward and Inversion Ray-Tracing, USGS Open-File Report 2004-1426, 2004.
Podcast Title: Science in the Middle East New York Academy of Sciences - Science and the City. June 20, 2008 Format: MP3, 11.8 MByte Running Time: 00:25:08
Webinars Lecture Title: Size Distribution of Submarine Landslides and Its Implication to Tsunami Hazards Offshore Geohazard University Running Time: 00:12:00 http://www.offshoregeohazards.org/ogu/webinars/Size_Distribution_Submarine_Landslides_Implication/player.html
Lecture Title: Assessing Tsunami Hazards to U.S. East Coast Using Relationships Between Submarine Landslides and Earthquakes Offshore Geohazard University Running Time: 00:21:30 http://www.offshoregeohazards.org/ogu/webinars/Assessing_Tsunami_Hazard_US/player.html
Lecture Title: Deformation of the Pacific-North-American plate boundary at queen Charlotte Fault: The possible role of rheology USGS Earthquake Hazards Program Seminars, October 2017.Running Time: 00:45:00 https://earthquake.usgs.gov/contactus/menlo/seminars/1100
Title: The Puerto Rico Trench: Exploring the deepest place in the Atlantic Ocean 14-minute educational film about sea floor mapping and tsunami and earthquake hazards, 2004, by Joram ten Brink For a DVD copy of the movie, please contact: Dr. Uri ten Brink , U.S. Geological Survey, Woods Hole Science Center 384 Woods Hole Road, Woods Hole, MA 02543 1-508-457-2396; email@example.com