W. Bane Schill is a multidisciplinary scientist working at the USGS Eastern Ecological Science Center in Kearneysville, WV since 1979.
- B.S.Chemistry 1971 Shepherd College Shepherdstown, WV
- B.S.Biology 1979 Shepherd College Shepherdstown, WV
The scientist formulates and conducts basic molecular biological research involving multiple disciplines relating to fishery and aquatic animal health and genetics. The scientist designs and implements state of the art procedures of chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioinformatics, genetics, immunology, bacteriology, parasitology and virology. Overall responsibilities are for all phases of the research cycle including 1) the design of studies relevant to the mission of USGS and supportive of DOI Bureau needs; 2) the garnering of funding from in-house sources and competitive grants; 3) the development and validation of techniques; 4) experimental data collection; and 5) the dissemination of the results via the preparation and submission of progress and evaluation reports, scientific papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals, presentations at scientific meetings, or other appropriate means.
- 1983, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Special Achievement Award
- 1996, U.S. Dept. of Interior On-the-Spot Award
- 1998, American Fisheries Society Most Significant Paper Award
- 2003, Journal of Aquatic Animal Health Best Paper Award 2003
Memberships in Professional Societies
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Chemical Society
- National Shellfisheries Association
- Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles