USGS fish disease research is focused on developing advanced tools for rapid disease detection and control. USGS scientists are improving our understanding of the factors controlling the epidemiology of aquatic animal diseases and the impact of disease on wild fish populations.
Our scientists are also investigating the effects of warming waters, drought, and invasive species on fish disease dynamics.
Aquatic Animal Health and Disease — Leetown Science center
Emerging Diseases — Leetown Science center
- Bacterial Kidney Disease (BKD)
- Erythrocytic Necrosis Virus (VEN)
- Ichthyophonus hoferi
- Infectious hematopoietic necrosis (IHN)
- Nanophyetus salmincola
- Nucleospora salmonis
- Proliferative kidney disease (Tetracapsuloides bryosalmonae)
- Spring Viremia of Carp (SVC)
- Viral Erythrocytic Necrosis (VEN)
- Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS)
- Whirling Disease