Jonathan Glen is a Research Geophysicist in the Geology, Minerals, Energy, and Geophysics Science Center at Moffett Field, CA. His research has focused mostly on applying potential-field and paleomagnetic methods to mineral and geothermal resource studies in the western U.S.
Jonathan specializes in potential field geophysics (gravity and magnetics) and paleomagnetism. His research involves an integrated geologic and geophysical approach to characterize the subsurface, assess resource potential, and study Earth processes.
His current projects largely focus on geothermal and mineral resource studies across the western US, and focuses on potential-field mapping and modeling to resolve subsurface structure and geology toward understanding the controls on geothermal and mineral resources, advancing assessment methodologies for characterizing resource potential, and developing new tools for collecting airborne data for mapping and monitoring efforts to study: energy and mineral resources, environmental impacts of energy production, and volcano hazards.
Jonathan's scope of research includes:
- Geothermal resources and impacts of geothermal development
- Geophysical applications of Unoccupied Aerial Systems (UAS)
- Basin and Range tectonics, volcanism, and metallogeny
- Cascade Range and back-arc tectonics and metallogeny
- Alaska tectonics and metallogeny
- Magnetostratigraphy and calibration of the magnetic polarity time scale
- Hotspots, flood volcanism and mass extinctions
- Paleomagnetic field behavior: magnetic polarity reversals, secular variation, excursions, paleointensity
- Electromagnetic monitoring of earthquakes
1999-present, Research geophysicist, U.S. Geological Survey
1996-1999, Postdoctoral researcher, Berkeley Geochronology Center
1996-1999, Postdoctoral researcher, Earth and Planetary Sciences, U.C. Santa Cruz
1995-1996, Postdoctoral researcher, Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris
Education and Certifications
Ph.D. (Geophysics) University of California, Santa Cruz, 1994
B.A. (Geophysics) University of California, Berkeley, 1986