Timothy Titus is a Space Scientist at the Astrogeology Science Center. He studies Mars polar processes, Mars thermal inertia, Mars aeolian topics and Cave detection procedures
- Mars Polar Processes: Specifically - the CO2 cycle and polar energy balance.
- Mars Thermal Inertia Studies: Specifically - the use of 2-layer thermal inertia models to detect sub-surface ice.
- Mars Aeolian Studies: Specially - the global inventory and characterization of Mars dunes.
- Cave Detection using the Thermal Infrared Remote Sensing: Specifically - using ground truth thermal characterization of terrestrial caves to develope techniques and procedures for detecting caves on Earth, the Moon, and Mars.
- Co-Investigator on Mars Odyssey THermal EMission Imaging System (THEMIS).
- Co-Investigator on Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) Compact Reconnaissance Imaging Spectrometer for Mars (CRISM).
- Selected as a Dawn at Vesta Participating Scientist.
Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Timothy N. Titus
Last Position prior to Retirement:
Chief of Logistics
Arizona National Guard
- Participating Scientist on DAWN at Vesta
- Extensive experience analyzing Mars Odyssey (ODY) THermal Emission IMaging System (THEMIS) data
- Extensive experience extracting and analyzing Mars Global Surveyor (MGS) Thermal Emission Spectrometer (TES) data
- Extensive knowledge of several programming languages, including IDL
- Writes and maintains a GUI software package that enhances the analysis of TES spectral data
- Extensive knowledge of multivariate analysis techniques, especially Principal Components Analysis (PCA)
Space Scientist - U.S. Geological Survey, Flagstaff AZ. 1999 - Present.
Acting Science Center Director - U.S. Geological Survey, Flagstaff AZ. Oct 2010 - Jan 2011.
Remote Sensing Analyst - Contracted with the U.S. Geological Survey, Flagstaff, AZ, and Oak Ridge Associated Universities, Oak Ridge, TN. 1997-1999.
Staff Lecturer - University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY. 1996-1997.
Education and Certifications
Ph.D.,Astrophysics, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY, 1996
M.S., Astrophysics, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 1988
B.A., Physics/Mathematics, Drake University, Des Moines, IA, 1985
Military Education: Command General Staff College (2000)
Military Education: Quartermaster Officer Advance Course (2003)