Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Under what circumstances do U.S. Geological Survey landslide personnel conduct field work in landslide-prone areas?

USGS landslide researchers have ongoing field projects in several areas of the United States, including parts of the Pacific coastal ranges, Rocky Mountains, and the Appalachians. USGS scientists also respond to major landslide events, including some that result in federally-declared disasters. In some cases, USGS scientists respond to landslides in foreign countries that request assistance through diplomatic channels.

The USGS Organic Act (43 U.S. Code § 31) prohibits the USGS from making surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations. If you are concerned about a landslide on or near your property, your state geological survey can provide general information or advice. For more extensive help, you might need to engage a professional engineering geologist or geotechnical engineer. Your state geological survey, the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), or the Association of Environmental & Engineering Geologists (AEG) should be able to identify professionals with landslide expertise who practice in your area.

Learn more: